Muntjac deterrant

Wendy Bailey
👍 1

Tue 5 Jan 2021, 16:12

John you are naughty ! but nice.

James Styring
👍 3

Tue 5 Jan 2021, 13:03

Ha ha! We humans are the real vermin, of course.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 19:52 (last edited on Mon 4 Jan 2021, 19:53)

Hi Kim, Yes it's the ticks. The carcass was just beyond the end of the 20 mph speed limit, so not too near you. The PHE page on ticks includes a useful video: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tick-surveillance-scheme

And John, the carcass was well rotted, so certainly not good to eat! 

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 19:45

Could make tasty pie as I have sprinkled the remaining plants with Curry powder. Nothing else works.

john h
👍 2

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 18:55

Pretty good under a pie crust!!!!

Kim Sale
👍 1

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 18:47

Christine, am I to assume that it is the ticks they carry that spread Lymes disease?

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 17:55

The muntjac deer might look pretty, but they also help spread Lyme Disease. I recently reported the remains of a muntjac lying on the verge of the Ditchley Rd, and was bothered that it had evidently been there for some weeks. Dogs sniffing at the carcass (and hence also their owners) would have been at risk.

I am pleased to say that the body has now been removed. 

Phil Morgan
👍 3

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 17:27

There is no doubt that the muntjac is a beautiful creature. Nevertheless, it does create problems in our countryside. 

The muntjac browses anything low and green and needs to consume several kilos of vegetation every day. It also reproduces prolifically. This is why it is regarded as vermin by many farmers and foresters.

The muntjac was introduced to this country some time ago as a charming addition to an estate. Being a clever creature, it soon escaped into the wild and there is now an existential threat to our woodlands - let alone Jean's cyclamens!  

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 16:50

I wish. I should have said the remaining plants.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 15:19

The remains of the muntjac?!

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 14:54

Final decision. I will pot up the remains and put them in the glass house.

Steve Jones
👍 1

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 13:18

It's worth remembering the muntjac are an invasive species with no natural predators in the UK. They also have a reputation for doing a huge amount of damage in woodlands dues to their habit of chewing shoots. In Scotland I believe MSPs have passed and act which aims to prevent them populating woodlands.

It's also now illegal to rescue muntjac and return them to the wild.

Robin Taylor
👍

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 12:37

It’s galling when they eat something you’ve been carefully nurturing. We get one or two in the garden sporadically, and they usually browse the lower leaves on the apple trees and roses, which doesn’t cause any lasting harm, but one once eyed up a small and recently planted heuchera I'd paid good money for, stuck its tongue out and hoovered up the entire plant!

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 09:58

It comes at night and sets off the security lights, waking me.  I am thinking of putting all the plants into the compost (not the black bin) - just see how it likes that!

Wendy Bailey
👍

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 08:48

Perhaps Jean you might have a camera handy next time it is close enough to be looking at you, I would LOVE that. Wild life is a gift to camera's it clearly trusts you. 

Eileen Hipgrave
👍 3

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 15:59

It was thanking you for your kindness in leaving food out for it Jean 

Rosemary Bennett
👍 2

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 15:14

I’d rather have a lovely little wild creature looking at me with trust and hope in its eyes!

Anne Lawson-Porter
👍 2

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 15:00

Always a challenge when nature comes into conflict with humans. Embrace nature every time would be my motto - what a privilege that it chose your garden!

K Harper
👍 1

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 13:59

It probably thought it was Christmas and all come at once! Kris x

Jean Adams
👍 1

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 12:19

Now, all my lovely red cyclamen in pots outside the windows have been eaten. I had sprayed the pots with anti deer, rabbits etc which did not work. It was in my garden looking at me today. !!!!!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.