Dog Mess in Charlbury

Andrew Greenfield
👍 1

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 14:48

A few days ago, on the grass verge outside one of the houses on The Slade, I saw a very nicely printed and worded notice stuck on a post beside a dump of dog poo asking in a very polite manner for the supplier of that dump, the dog-owner, not the dog itself I presume, to kindly remove it when next they passed by.

It was not a notice you could easily miss, and if many owners like me use the same walks many times a week it seemed that such a notice might persuade an owner to do the correct thing.

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Geoff Belcher
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 13:47

Plus you must get the name and address from the dog involved, if the owner is with the dog ask them to remove it

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 21 Jan 2021, 08:56

So it appears that, quote:

Dog fouling can be reported to the local council. The penalty for not clearing up dog fouling can be up to £1,000 if taken to court, but there is also provision for a fixed penalty scheme with a fine of £50 in England.

Liz Leffman
👍 5

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 11:47

Except that there are no dog wardens to do anything about it

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 11:34

Report dog fouling on the WODC website. It is very easy to find.

Liz Leffman
👍 3

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 11:34

I agree, Tim, picking up after other people's dogs is pretty unpleasant but nothing like as nasty as having it lying around in the first place. I steeled myself and picked up a large one on the Mill Field yesterday, left within about 20 steps of the bin! There really is no charitable explanation for the behaviour of that particular owner. 

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 9

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 11:21

Church Yard is getting bad again, don't these dog owners realise that kids play in there ? even the Sunday school kids group have their outside meets there, I'm forever it seems having to pick up other dogs mess. I have no problem picking up our own dogs mess but somehow other peoples dogs mess is gross, so come on dog owners be responsible pick up your dogs mess don't just let your dog loose in the church yard and let it do it's business without watching it, your letting all the other dog owners down.

Oh and just to mention again just remember who's yard you are in and that your being watched !   

Eleanor Draycott
👍

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 10:58 (last edited on Wed 20 Jan 2021, 10:58)

So much on Sheep Street at the moment. Lots right outside peoples’ doors. Grim. 

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 10:22

Not just fouling in the playing fields, also the pavements -- including just outside my front gate! 

Duncan Forbes
👍 4

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 10:15

I'm afraid that with footpaths so muddy the playing field is becoming the dogs' lavatory of choice. Yesterday there was a large dump of dog mess between the tennis courts and the football field. This morning when I got to the field there were three dogs running freely a long way from their owners, and were soon joined by a fourth. The notices about keeping dogs on leads are now ignored by the majority of owners who then may not see, or choose to ignore, their dog fouling the grass.

Alex Flynn
👍 2

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 22:16

A bit of a crappy subject isn't it? 

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 22:16

I'm surprised there isn't technology by now to trace the dog mess back to the dog. That might wake some owners up! 

Claire Wilding
👍 10

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 21:31

Please don't leave dog poo bags hanging from fences/trees, it's not nice for other people and it's sti ll littering.

Wendy Bailey
👍 4

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 19:01

Hundley Way is a dog walkers favourite thanks to the field, but although there is a poo bin right by the gate used poo bags are still dropped just a few yards away. I carried poo bags and a carrier bag when dog walking. But mine was on a lead so I knew where she did what she had to do. 

Gill Begnor
👍 1

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 18:20

In defence of people who leave the poo bags on fences/branches - I do that as well when I'm doing a circular route - I pick it up on the way back rather than carry the bag of poo for 2 miles! But if the bag is still there the next day then that's a different story and those people are nearly as bad as the people who can't even be bothered to put it in a bag!!

Lee Belcher
👍 3

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 16:27

My daughter has the same complaint.  When she and Poppy (her dog) come to visit they always stay for a couple of days and Poppy has walks twice a day.  She is constantliy remarking on the numbcer of other people's dog messes she cleans up--one of her pet hassles is having to pick up already filled doggie bags which people have carefully hung on fences or branches because they can't be bothered carry them back to dispose of themselves.

Gill Begnor
👍 12

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 10:53

As a relatively new dog-owner, I am disgusted by the number of times I have to pick up other people's dog mess around Charlbury, as well as my own (dog's, not mine!) Today I picked up one from the recreation ground, most days I pick up at least one from the field next to Hundley Way and yesterday I stepped in some in Crawborough and didn't realise until I smelt it in my car, by which time it was smeared in the footwell.

Apart from the obvious fact that it is revolting, dog mess is a health hazard, especially in areas where kids play. (Look up Toxocariasis if you haven't heard of it.)

Dog owners have a legal duty to clean up after their dogs - and not being aware that your dog has fouled is not a legal excuse so everyone should keep an eye on their dogs when they are off the lead.

Apart from the fact that we have a social responsibility to clean up after our dogs, there is a risk that we will lose the right walk them in some areas that we currently take for granted.

Please help make Charlbury a cleaner place to live!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.