Vaccination progress

Sandy Fairhurst
👍 5

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 18:24

Stunned to receive phone call for jab this Friday. Wasn’t expecting it to be so soon since imagined I’d  have a few weeks to wait till it got to my age group.Gosh.well done!

Joanne Fox
👍 1

Wed 20 Jan 2021, 16:54

Encouraged to hear that a friend who is 78 will get a jab on Friday!  Hope the CMC is told what the plan is for next week!  Would be great to hear! (Hint hint)

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 22:10 (last edited on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 22:26)

Hmm, glad I'm not relying on your map reading to drive to Carterton 

Steve Jones
👍

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 20:29

Oops. I must have the brewery on my brain. It was, of course, Chipping Norton...

Anna Fairhurst
👍

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 19:06

I work in Brize Norton. The road closure is just the southern half of the road through the village, south of the school and the village hall. It doesn’t affect people driving that way from Charlbury to Carterton, who turn out of the village onto the Carterton road by the church; that road is clear. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 3

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 18:55

I think there’s a bit of confusion between Hook Norton and Chipping Norton here.

Steve Jones
👍

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 18:14

There is a bus service to Hook Norton, albeit infrequent, and it is also closer to Charlbury than Carterton. The latter isn't viable by public transport.

Nobody has talked about those in their eighties as if they are senile, let alone "all". However, many in their eighties no longer drive and often, as would be the case woth my mother (who is 89), she would not be able to drive that sort of journey.

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 16:22 (last edited on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 16:26)

How would you get to Hook Norton if you can't get to Carterton?  

And why do you all keep talking about everyone over 80 as if they were senile! 

Steve Jones
👍 5

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 13:09 (last edited on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 15:49)

It is, indeed, good news. Also, many thanks to Charlbury Medical Centre for keeping the community informed. Not all medical practices are doing this. My mother is 89, and lives alone a little outside Aylesbury and the large medical practice with which she is registered has put absolutely nothing on their website about vaccinations (and she's not been contacted at all). Frankly, I consider that to be appalling, whereas CMC had done a very good job.

As to the scheduling, it is frustrating that, in a rural area, we are somewhat behind the larger towns and cities, but I suspect that if the aim is to reach the most vulnerable in the largest possible numbers at the greatest speed then that's understandable. The rates of transmission in those large towns and cities is generally a lot higher and there is a much greater concentration of people at risk.

I would agree with those that feel that we would be better served if the centres were linked in with Hook Norton or Witney. However, I assume that this pre-dates the Covid-19 epidemic and, presumably, reflects the structure of primary care centre managements. Whether it could have been rapidly changed, I don't know.

When the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine becomes more widely available then I assume that the process will start to look a lot more like the way the 'flu vaccinations are given locally as it doesn't require the same sort of "cold-chain" and need to use up all the doses in a large batch within a very limited time.

Gareth Epps
👍 2

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 12:51

Christine - thankfully that shouldn’t affect journeys to Carterton unless people are going the ‘old way’.

Good news at last.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 12:28

So (travel permitting) all Charlbury’s 80+-year olds should be vaccinated by next Tuesday. That’s brilliant news.

Joanne Fox
👍

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 11:26 (last edited on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 11:46)

Charlbury CMC website now shows next dates for vaccines!

Here’s the link, must click News menu: 

https://www.thecharlburymedicalcentre.nhs.uk/news.aspx

Also Here’s a link to the website where Charlbury is mentioned. 

https://www.bamptonmedicalpractice.co.uk

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 12 Jan 2021, 10:02 (last edited on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 10:02)

Those driving to Carterton might like to note that there is a Road Closure on Station Rd at Brize Norton between 11/1/2021 and 8/2/2021.

I am not sure if that information will be included in the maps and directions to be sent out by CMC -- perhaps not, given it is not the most obvious or shortest way to drive. However, it is the route I might have opted for (nice & quiet, also familiarity), and perhaps I am not alone in that.

This information comes from the Bampton Medical Centre website which operates the Carterton Health Service practice where the vaccinations will take place. Their website is also informative, e.g. about the number of doses of the Pfizer vaccine that have been allocated in the first batch (975, to be shared between Bampton, Burford, Carterton and Charlbury).

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 5

Mon 11 Jan 2021, 18:24

[Folks, the Debate page is there for a reason and not just to look pretty. Posts moved —Richard]

Nikki Rycroft
👍 7

Sun 10 Jan 2021, 22:39

Once again, we emphasise that the roll out of the vaccination process has not been organised by the CMC , we have posted about this several times. 

The post in Debate, by Veronica Robinson, explains exactly the reasons for the priority of vaccination for the elderly and vulnerable first,  and is all the more relevant at  the moment with the very worrying  pressure currently reported on the NHS

Please read News,  where you will see that arrangements can be made to transport people to Carterton if necessary. 

Jean Adams
👍

Sun 10 Jan 2021, 18:10 (last edited on Mon 11 Jan 2021, 22:54)

The advice  letters have to be collected from the Surgery after CMC has telephoned 

Tony Morgan
👍 5

Sun 10 Jan 2021, 13:15 (last edited on Sun 10 Jan 2021, 13:16)

I agree with you Charlie and it reflects Phil Morgan’s post on the other thread Unfortunately the logistical problems of having an increased number of different categories would probably be insurmountable in view of the requirement to process the vaccinations as quickly as possible I think it has made us realise the value of retail workers, postal workers etc

Charlie M
👍 4

Sun 10 Jan 2021, 10:34 (last edited on Sun 10 Jan 2021, 10:42)

I fear that there is little point in going on and on about vaccination, in that "they will get to each of us" when it is *our* turn! I am "vulnerable" in four different ways, but I readily acknowledge that there are many who are more vulnerable than me. And I agree that there are many more who are "in the front line" - such as shop workers and teachers - who should probably take priority. But there is one more sinister aspect ...
This article describes how some company allegedly tried to jump the queue for the Covid vaccine. Incidents of this must be reported if *ever* they are encountered. 
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-vaccine-buy-private-hacking-trust-gp-b1784955.html
Stay safe folks!

Miranda Higham
👍 5

Sun 10 Jan 2021, 10:00 (last edited on Sun 10 Jan 2021, 10:06)

My daughter had her first vaccine on Thursday 31st December in Ashford. Unfortunately, she tested positive on Friday 8th January. It is likely that she caught Covid at the care home she works in. She has been so careful and adhered to all safety guidance.

So please remember to continue to take great care when you have had your first dose. It takes a few weeks to offer some protection.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2021, 16:26

My mother also had hers at chippy, and the Dr or nurse doing the vaccine said "it had bloody well better" be three weeks for the next shot. I was asking because she has other regular appointments that we've previously been told can't be delayed. 

OTOH my SIL who is an ICU nurse in Brighton hasn't had hers yet either

Heather Williams
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2021, 14:46

My mother who is with The Wychwood Surgery had her first jab on the 22nd December was due to have her second on the 12th January, exactly three weeks later, but was told it was cancelled as they wish to give as many people as possible the first vaccination.  She had hers at the Chipping Norton Surgery and was given it by one of our Wychwood Surgery Doctors. 

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sat 9 Jan 2021, 14:15

There was a question about this on a BBC radio programme last week, but it concerned somebody who normally lives in London but had been based in Wales for several months. He had tried to register with a GP practice in Wales in order to obtain a vaccination, but been refused registration. In the meantime he had been offered vaccination through his London Drs, but couldn't travel to get the jab. The only solution offered was the suggestion to get his registration transferred from London to Wales on a temporary basis.

Although CMC doesn't want people to phone the practice unnecessarily, I think you will need to do this & ask for advice, especially if your mother is over 80. 

I am wondering how many of the over 80s will be able to get to Carterton in a risk-free way. The Pfizer vaccine can't be stored, & they won't want to waste it. CMC are doubtless beginning to compile a list of people able/or not able to get there.

Maria Campbell
👍

Sat 9 Jan 2021, 12:33

Does anyone know anything about temporary patients and when/where they will be offered vaccination? My over 80 mother is staying with us and registered with CMC, but is normally resident in Wales... Thanks.

Amanda Epps
👍 2

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 17:28

The Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group decided, I believe in 2017 that Charlbury should be included in the Rural West Network of practices with Burford, Bampton and Broadshires, Carterton.  The issue of public transport between these locations doesn’t seem to have been a consideration.

Liz Leffman
👍 3

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 17:26 (last edited on Fri 8 Jan 2021, 17:29)

It isn't just here that this is a problem - I brought this up at a meeting this afternoon and there are similar problems in Cherwell district.  One of the disadvantages of having CCGs that cover very large geographic areas.  The people who make these decisions often do not have sufficient local knowledge (or the humility to know that they don't!)

Helen Josephine Wright
👍 7

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 17:23

I believe & trust that once our Surgery is provided with the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine, clinics can be arranged on a regular basis here in Charlbury & will run smoothly like the flu clinics.  

The linking of Surgeries together to provide extra care facilities was organised by patient numbers & completely out of CMC control.  I too feel that Charlbury patients should have been linked to Chipping Norton or Witney, both of which are equidistant & served by bus. How can Government / NHS England expect those over 80 years without transport to get to Carterton without a car is beyond me. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 13:43

Thanks, Robin. 

Helen Wilkinson
👍 4

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 12:55 (last edited on Fri 8 Jan 2021, 12:55)

My 90 year old mother with Chipping Norton medical centre has already had both first and second jabs, as have both my 80 year old in-laws in Banbury. It appears we are penalised for the Charlbury surgery not being linked with Chipping Norton - our nearest centre.  Carterton is not convenient for Charlbury residents, but it appears that unless and until the Charlbury Medical centre can access the Oxford vaccine, our most vulnerable residents are not likely to be offered early protection.  I do not however blame the government for this - this is a local NHS organisational/management issue.

Adrian Hunter
👍 3

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 12:05

Meanwhile, in N. Yorks, my parents both received their second jab on Wednesday. I'm delighted for them, but the disparities resulting from the stupidity, incompetence and indecision of the government make me want to see ministerial and prime-ministerial heads roll.

Robin Taylor
👍 2

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 12:01

Patient Participation Group, I assume. As in, all the items that Nikki Rycroft puts up in the news section, plus their page (CPPG) in the Community section of the website.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 11:46

What is the PPG please?

Nikki Rycroft
👍 5

Fri 8 Jan 2021, 10:18

Further message from Charlbury Medical Centre

The Practice learnt last night from NHS England that the first COVID-19 vaccination day will be Saturday 16th January at Carterton Health Centre (Central Carterton) with the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. They will be offering vaccination to over 80's starting with the very eldest patients first and working backwards towards the youngest. They will be in contact with those eligible directly. This will not include the vaccination of truly housebound patients who will be vaccinated at a later stage.

Please see the latest information on the CMC’s own website.

As promised we are keeping you updated as often as possible, remember this is a National roll out and distribution is not managed by the Practices themselves.

Helen Josephine Wright
👍 6

Thu 7 Jan 2021, 17:20

In addition to the information provided earlier.

All Covid19 vaccinations are controlled by the Government & NHS England.  Charlbury Medical Centre have no say in when we will receive them. They have received considerable complaints, taking up their valuable time, despite the message on their phone line.  Also the PPG have put out relevant information. Please advise friends & family to check current information. Let us hope more people take up the vaccine than took up the flu vaccine.  

Hans Eriksson
👍 2

Thu 7 Jan 2021, 15:15

The one dose idea was first mooted by Tim Harford in How to vaccinate the world on the 21st December. That was picked up by Tony Blair 2 days later, and now it is policy. That's fine with the AZ, but it's unclear with the Pfizer, as they themselves says no. As an armchair epidemiologist I first took the view one dose now and delay 2nd would create a much higher level of community immunity. BUT the new mutated UK version of the virus b.1.1.7 occurred in one patient with a suppressed immune system. This person was given convalescent plasma i.e. antibodies from recovered patients. That suppressed the "old" virus, but thus giving b.1.1.7 chance to grow strong. And spread. This would not happen with a normal immune system. So far so good. But there is a chance exactly the same could happen to people with one dose Pfizer vaccine. This is called "escaped mutant" or "virus escape". The risk of this is minimal IF you have a limited virus spread in the community, but we have right now a wide spread. I think they will have to backtrack. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-extending-gap-between-coronavirus-jab-doses-creates-small-risk-of-escaped-mutant-variant-whitty-12180180 

Christine Battersby
👍 6

Thu 7 Jan 2021, 12:04 (last edited on Thu 7 Jan 2021, 12:07)

John, That's because we are not in the same GP catchment area as Chipping Norton which can take cases from Deddington and other quite distant places, but not the "Rural West Primary Care Network" (Burford, Bampton, Carterton, Charlbury). Carterton was designated a Covid 19 Assessment Centre (CALM) back in the summer, and our rural network has evidently decided  that Carterton is the only site in our catchment area that is capable of handling the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

Given the demands on GP practices and facilities, it's not that surprising that Charlbury Medical Centre did not volunteer to become a Pfizer/BioNTech hub. Really all other GP work needs to be put on hold, and there are demands for parking and deep-freeze capacity that Charlbury does not have. 

Witney has also started vaccinating; but both Chippy and Witney have more care homes & a higher rate of Covid infections than here in Charlbury, so it's also not surprising that we have not been prioritised for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine distribution. 

I do think more sharing of information would be useful, however. I find the BBC Radio 4 programme series "How to Vaccinate the World" (available on BBC Sounds) really helpful: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000py6s

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Thu 7 Jan 2021, 11:18 (last edited on Thu 7 Jan 2021, 11:19)

I'm 'extremely vulnerable' on three counts, get emails from Matt Hancock telling me to shield, but have not been offered a jab.  People in Chippy less vulnerable than me have been vaccinated. I've heard nothing from CMC.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 7 Jan 2021, 10:56

There is some news from Dr Pippa Brookes-White on the Charlbury Medical Centre site. I first noticed it on Monday, but it was updated yesterday: https://www.thecharlburymedicalcentre.nhs.uk/news.aspx 

It suggests that at least some of the most vulnerable people in Charlbury will be offered the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, but probably via the surgery in Carterton. Most of us will need to wait for the Oxford/Astra Zeneca jab that it is hoped can be delivered in Charlbury. But supplies of that vaccine have not yet gone out to GPs.

The lead GP for delivering the Covid vaccine in our area  is Dr Vivienne Austin at Burford, although that information is not included in the Charlbury news bulletin. 

Tony Morgan
👍 1

Thu 7 Jan 2021, 09:44

Thanks Steve a very informative summary

Steve Jones
👍 10

Wed 6 Jan 2021, 22:29 (last edited on Wed 6 Jan 2021, 22:48)

There are actually about 610,000 people over the age of 90 in the UK. The first priority group includes those in care homes plus the care staff who work there, and there are about 600,000 residents of care homes.

I also think the logistical problems of the Pfizer vaccine cold chain is a problem in less densely populated areas and I suspect that we might find that places like Charlbury will be be dealt with using the Oxford vaccine as that's more suited to the local medical practice.

I also suspect that more vaccines are currently being targeted to hot-spots like London where the rates are so much higher.

When it comes to the spacing between vaccines, then the choice is stark. Vaccine supplies will be limited for months to come, and for every person who gets two jabs with a three week, rather than an up to twelve week interval then another person will have to wait perhaps two to three months. The single jab appears to give a very good level of protection and, most importantly, even if  infected, it's very unlikely to require hospitalisation. The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisations looked into this, and this is a summary of why it's been done. The overwhelming evidence is on the side of it saving more lives. The second jab isn't being stopped, it's delayed. Denmark is has extended its gap to 6 weeks and Germany is considering the option too.

Science, and especially medical science, does not work by absolute certainties. There are risks involved in extending the gap between jabs, but there are also risks, and larger ones overall, for sticking to a rigorous 3 week schedule. Is it perfect? Of course not, but we are in the middle of a crisis and people have to make informed judgements.

JCVI Summary

David Pollock
👍 1

Wed 6 Jan 2021, 21:28

We all understand the need to deal first with health workers and the elderly; and no one doubts the pressure under which the whole NHS is working.... but no one seems to be able to tell me why in Charlbury there are people in their late 90s who have heard nothing at all about vaccination. There are at most a few 10s of thousands of folk that age in theUK; roughly a million in total have been vaccinated. Why not our old people then? On what basis has the decision been  made that CMC should not be able to offer the vaccine yet, and by whom?  I sympathise hugely with CMC and don’t want to pester them. Can anyone tell me the answers? And can anyone confirm that someone is making the case for urgent supplies to be made available here?

Heather Williams
👍

Wed 6 Jan 2021, 20:43

My mother had her first covid jab on the 22nd December and was going to have her second on Tuesday 12th January, exactly three weeks later.  She was phoned this week to say that the second jab was being cancelled, something to do with the fact they (the Government) think they can leave it longer between the jabs than the 3 weeks originally thought!

Alan Cobb
👍

Mon 4 Jan 2021, 16:21

My elderly mother who lives in Shipston on Stour should be getting her first dose on Saturday

Lee Belcher
👍

Sun 3 Jan 2021, 16:32 (last edited on Sun 3 Jan 2021, 16:32)

A close friend who is a doctor on the covid wards in Coventry has not yet been offered a jab.

Joanne Fox
👍 1

Sat 2 Jan 2021, 13:40

interesting tracking being done by Oxford Univ

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.