Vaccination.

Steve Jones
👍 2

Wed 30 Dec 2020, 17:42 (last edited on Wed 30 Dec 2020, 17:43)

The Pfizer vaccine is an mRNA type requires special handling as it's stored at -70C and a complete batch of almost 1,000 doses has to be used within 3 days. As such, it seems that it's being deployed via relatively big vaccination centres covering fairly large areas. That's especially the case as it's being done by priority tiers and there are about ten of those and I doubt there's more than a few hundred in any on tier in Charlbury.

The Oxford/AstraZeneca one is a viral vector vaccine and handling it is much more like the 'flu vaccine and it can be stored at normal refrigerator temperatures. If the vaccine is to be given at the local clinic it's pretty well certain it's going to be the Oxford one.

From what I understand, whilst the Oxford vaccine is a two dose variety (like the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines), the plan appears to be to maximise the number of people getting the first dose and it could be three months or so before getting the second dose (instead of a three week interval). Whilst the protection after just one dose is not as high as after two doses, it still gives a decent level two or three weeks after that first shot and, importantly, from what I read, even if a person who is vaccinated does contract the disease, it's very much less likely to become serious and require hospitalisation.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 1

Wed 30 Dec 2020, 12:18

Sent you an email regarding help

Nikki Rycroft
👍 4

Wed 30 Dec 2020, 09:45

Thanks everyone, the more people who can offer an hour, outside, socially distanced, the faster we will all get vaccinated. 

Please email  patientgroup.charlbury@nhs.net   if you can help, we’ve had wonderful news this morning about the Oxford vaccine, so very soon I’ll be posting on News what the arrangements are for Charlbury MC patients. 

John Munro
👍 2

Tue 29 Dec 2020, 22:48

Nikki,

Maybe missed a previous posting about helpers . Could you possibly outline what the role would involve and how much commitment might be required?

christopher edeson
👍

Tue 29 Dec 2020, 19:11

Hello Nikki

I have sent you an email ref the help required. 

Chris 

Nikki Rycroft
👍 4

Mon 28 Dec 2020, 18:07

Please keep checking our posts on News, we tell you as much as the CMC knows. 

The vaccination programme is organised centrally through the Primary Care Networks, and we are part of the Burford, Bampton, and Carterton Network . Chippy is part of a different network. ( don’t ask!) 

But we shall really need lots of help in marshalling the clinics for an hour or so, outside, once they start in Charlbury when the Oxford vaccine becomes available,  so here is yet another plea for volunteers , as the same 8-10 people just aren’t going to be enough. 

We want to help facilitate the clinics but we need you to help as well ! 

Please contact   patientgroup.charlbury@nhs.net 

Joanne Fox
👍

Sun 27 Dec 2020, 21:34

Last month was told charlbury would be vaccinated as part of Carterton vaccination hub. 

Geoff Belcher
👍 2

Sun 27 Dec 2020, 21:21 (last edited on Sun 27 Dec 2020, 21:22)

Theres info on local vaccination on Charlbury web site News, its due to start in new year depending when the vaccine arrives Jan or Feb

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Sun 27 Dec 2020, 20:12

Jean, a lot to be said for waiting for Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, now well on its way hooray!

Jean Adams
👍 2

Sun 27 Dec 2020, 19:46

Friends in other areas are already vaccinated. When are they starting in CMCentre?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.