Mud less walks

Rachel Gallagher
👍

Fri 25 Dec 2020, 23:33

Thank you for the suggestions. We must try them.

James Styring
👍 2

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 15:59

Tier 4 from Boxing Day ... how muddy is your garden?!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 13:28

The Oxford Canal towpath generally has a pretty good surface from Oxford through Kidlington and Thrupp to Shipton-on-Cherwell. There’s a tea room at Thrupp selling takeaway tea/coffee and cakes, and handily placed canalside benches nearby.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 11:43

Re Compton Verney: there are a couple of public footpaths there too, one going partly through the park (though I haven't been this year so can't vouch for mud levels). Though whether one should be travelling to a Tier 3 area is perhaps a moot point...

Sara Mullen
👍

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 10:53

Feet nice and mud less around Farmoor Reservoir on Sunday and the bird life there was a real treat, plus it's a decent walk. 

James Styring
👍

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 10:17

Salt Way between Dustfield Fm (end of Quarry La) and Taston/Spelsbury is OK. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 09:55 (last edited on Wed 23 Dec 2020, 09:58)

Well, my friends know about not turning left. They had been using that entrance for many years, so that does not really explain why they were stopped and informed that they needed to book a time-slot. I had also heard that from others that this was the case, so this is really useful information.

But thanks for pointing out that the information is misleading -- and also for the clarification that Woodleys  refers to Ditchley Gate. 

On the question of closures during Covid: has anyone recently walked round the grounds and lake of Wroxton Abbey, near Banbury? It's usually another nice mud-free walk and with free entry, although some distance away. 

I can also recommend Compton Verney, but you do need a day pass or an annual pass to enter the grounds, and there are some closures over Christmas. 

Pat Court
👍 1

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 09:10

Christine, yes we have been during Covid restrictions. They check passes by the Woodstock entrance if you turn left on entering through that gate  but if you turn right you can walk freely. There has always been a sign there stopping you turning left without a pass. The Woodleys gate (or Ditchley gate) is accessed by a pedestrian button to open the gates. There are always cars parked along the road by the gate. We take the grandkids in that way as it is really good if you have little ones on  bikes or scooters as totally safe and flat for them. 

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 23 Dec 2020, 09:08

Concerning Christine's earliest posting regarding Blenheim public footpath entrance via the hidden green gate near Black Prince pub, I suspect that her friends tried to turn left up the hill rather than right along Queen's Pool. The weblink that is referenced does not make it clear that the left turn is not a public path and you may be stopped as you require an annual or day pass to walk that way.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 22 Dec 2020, 23:10

Thank you, Alan. That's really helpful. 

Alan Cobb
👍

Tue 22 Dec 2020, 21:27

I've been into Blenheim via the public footpaths through Combe Gate and by Stonesfield steps on Akeman Street on several occasions during the restrictions without any hindrance. I am wondering if somebody is assuming authority they do not have at the Black Prince gate.

Woodleys Gate is the one by the junction of Stonesfield Road with the B4437, otherwise known as Ditchley Gate.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 22 Dec 2020, 21:08

Thank you, Pat. Have you done this during the Covid restrictions? 

My friends were stopped and turned back after going through the free-for-locals entrance by the Black Prince which is the one that I normally use & the one described in the link. An annual pass is not required for that entrance, as long as you stick to the paths and do not venture into the restricted areas.  My friends also told me that there were time restrictions. It put me off going in during the pandemic. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the Woodleys entrance. I am presuming that's a different entrance. Is that walk also mud-free? And do you need an annual pass if you go in that way? 

Pat Court
👍 1

Tue 22 Dec 2020, 20:10

Surely that is only if you cross the bridge or the path by the Woodstock entrance?

We have been in lots of times via Woodleys and had no problem if not crossing into the monitored park area. One time we had booked to go into the park and walked from Woodleys but showed our pass to cross the bridge. The footpaths are classed as public footpaths and there is a 5 mile route which can be found online. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 22 Dec 2020, 19:07

On Blenheim, during Covid it is necessary to book a walking time in advance, even if accessing the site via one of the free gates. 

Details here: https://www.freeblenheim.com/free-entry-to-blenheim/ Friends have been caught out by this.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Tue 22 Dec 2020, 11:06

Re John's reference to Blenheim, I can recommend the dry public footpaths that criss-cross the estate, but you may get stopped at the Grand Bridge or the Formal Garden exit, if you undertake the circular ones listed on their website, as they require you to have an annual or day pass. A free annual walking pass can be obtained, but it is only made available to Woodstock residents.

Alan Cobb
👍

Mon 21 Dec 2020, 19:45

Up Burford Road to the Walcot turn, go along the road to Walcot cottages and follow the track as far as the big tree before the steep dip and return.

John Munro
👍

Mon 21 Dec 2020, 19:17

Up Ditchley Road to the gatehouses and back.

Slightly further afield - Blenheim - there is a short and a long one which are both dry under foot (and no need for membership or tickets etc).

Rachel Gallagher
👍

Mon 21 Dec 2020, 18:38

May I have some ideas for less muddy or even mud free walks locally please?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.