Hill Top (Debate)

K Harper
👍 1

Fri 4 Dec 2020, 14:44

Renaming it to “Charlbury” is so misleading and to my mind pointless! Think it will always be known as Hilltop!  Kris 

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 4 Dec 2020, 14:04

Agree Liz "Hill Top" is much "nicer".

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Thu 3 Dec 2020, 12:49

Are we all still calling it Hilltop? We are as "Charlbury Garden Centre" is such a mouthful and CGC ... just no.

re the debate, it's tricky to organize as the outside area is almost empty but you can't know that in advance. Same prob with Burford and Yarnton, but at least we've found the customers good about masks and distancing (unlike White House Xmas parties!)

Hamish Nichol
👍 3

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 22:04

Hannen, maybe the 144 mile round trip is to test their eye sight? I don't believe it's possible to argue the point with people who don't understand common sense or see themselves as above the rules. I believe the term for them is COVIDIOTS. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 13:13

Yes, it's all very odd and confusing.

I've just read that a cabinet minister has said that a Scotch egg is regarded as a "substantial meal".  So I am anticipating our three pubs to get loads in!

Also, who decides and enforces the "essential travel" thing?  It seems to be an entirely subjective decision.  I remonstrated with a neighbour for bouncing back and forth between North London and Charlbury during both lockdowns and was given a good telling off.

He and his Wife think that a 144 mile round trip is "essential" as they need to keep an eye on their second home - despite the fact that I have offered to do it for them.

Wendy Bailey
👍 2

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 11:23

It wasn't the fact that they were open that bothered me, it was the number of customers they had let inside. Food shops had people waiting outside patiently. Like our own COOP, well done for sticking to the guide lines, I don't object to waiting outside if it keeps the community safe and well. 

Matt Bullock
👍 2

Mon 30 Nov 2020, 08:38

I know the Government has had to act quickly, but the whole system of "lockdown" was a mess. Setting aside the issue of whether you'd want to shop there, why should M&S be able to stay open to sell clothes whilst Debenhams cannot? As with most of the measures introduced during the pandemic, it's not been thought through properly. Perhaps as M&S has a food hall, you can buy a pair of trousers as long as you're buying a substantial meal?

Carl A Perkins
👍 2

Sun 29 Nov 2020, 16:26 (last edited on Sun 29 Nov 2020, 16:27)

Hmmm. I must admit, I’ve given up trying to figure out the logic of the government on this particular issue. I don’t think there is any! I can understand food shops and pharmacies being open but not the others. It’s a shame so many other small retailers are losing out at this important time of year...

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 29 Nov 2020, 16:22

It is according to the Government:

"essential retail such as food shops, supermarkets, pharmacies, garden centres, hardware stores, building merchants and off-licences."

Carl A Perkins
👍

Sun 29 Nov 2020, 16:12

Should it even be open? I thought the national lockdown ended on Wednesday which is when non essential retailers can reopen. Is a garden centre essential?

Wendy Bailey
👍

Sun 29 Nov 2020, 12:51

I have just been to Hill Top Garden Centre,  only got as far as the front door it was far too busy to go in. should have twigged when the car park was full. Surely they could have had someone of the door restricting number going in ?  No one wants them to loose out on trade just to make it safe. Social distancing etc. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.