Black fly infestetion

Robin Taylor
👍

Thu 26 Nov 2020, 13:51

Thankyou, Harriet, I must try that next time I’m infested (and there will be a next time!)

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Thu 26 Nov 2020, 08:58

Robin, the easiest way to deal with fungus gnats is to stick unused matches head down into the compost, use three or four per 9cm pot. The sulphur kills the eggs and you get no more gnats.

Robin Taylor
👍

Thu 26 Nov 2020, 08:38

What size of fly are we talking about? If they are tiny, and you have pot plants, they could be fungus gnats which hatch out of the soil. Using a spray with some cooking oil and washing up liquid diluted in water and spraying the surface of the compost can help. Also putting fly traps individually in the pots can catch the blighters before they fly away.

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 25 Nov 2020, 23:31 (last edited on Wed 25 Nov 2020, 23:33)

If they are cluster flies, there can be 1000s. And they come into the home to hibernate, coming out again in the Spring. Not just house flies. See the links for the life-cycle, and recommended remedies (e.g.vacuuming them up).

But Jean doesn't say if this is the problem. Hope it is not. 

Simon Hogg
👍

Wed 25 Nov 2020, 21:23

What about just opening a window and letting them out. It is just nature.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 25 Nov 2020, 20:27

Have today purchased 2 x Pest Rejects. I understand that you plug them in and they give off a sound which is only heard by small animals and insects, which they hate. Not harmful to humans.

I will report on the success. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 24 Nov 2020, 00:15

WODC have a pest control page. 
v good IMO. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 23 Nov 2020, 23:08

Jean, Are they cluster flies? Yuk.

If so, you may need a pest controller. Or see here: https://www.fliesonly.com/cluster-flies-information-images-get-rid-of-cluster-flies/

Here's the Rentokil page: https://www.rentokil.co.uk/blog/the-strange-life-of-cluster-flies/

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 23 Nov 2020, 18:39 (last edited on Mon 23 Nov 2020, 18:41)

Does anyone have a deterrent? They are all over windows. I have put dishes of herbs but they are not deterred. One window I have pinned a sticky fly trap but it is revolting. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.