How can we get connected for on-line events at FMH

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 2

Mon 16 Nov 2020, 09:04 (last edited on Mon 16 Nov 2020, 09:10)

If the land line is not present and you need it quickly then 4G would be the way to go.

I went and stood around various places outside the meeting house today. The good news is I got and average of 25megabits down and about 6megabit up, this is with…

Long post - click to read full text

ALISON COLLINS
👍 2

Sun 15 Nov 2020, 16:51

There should be an existing phone line.  My father used the building as an office for many years.  It was a while ago now, but surely the cables are still there?

Anne Miller
👍

Sat 14 Nov 2020, 22:38

Thank you all: will look into these options.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Fri 13 Nov 2020, 23:54

Simon's suggestion makes the most sense particularly if your needs are only for occasional use. For starters, however, you can test the idea if one of your members with a 4G mobile phone can setup 'teathering' that would allow you to see if it would work well enough.

Alternatively, if one of your neighbours is willing and has a modem that permits guest access you could simply borrow a bit of wi-fi access when you need it. That may require a small repeater device.

Simon Walker
👍 2

Fri 13 Nov 2020, 21:14

Look at a 4G wireless router.  It works on the same basis as a mobile phone, with a SIM card, so does not need physical cables to connect it to the internet.  There was one at a remote-ish holiday cottage we used not long ago, and it was OK.  The potential disadvantage is that it can lose connection if the local transmitter is very busy with lots of people making mobile calls.  And, of course, you need to have a good 4G signal at the Meeting House.

sue holiday
👍

Fri 13 Nov 2020, 20:28

Try Gigaclear in a few months' time once they are up and running: much cheaper.

Anne Miller
👍

Fri 13 Nov 2020, 19:53

We have recently been quoted a figure in excess of £3,000 to have a phone line installed at the Friends Meeting House in Market Street, so that we can access the internet and hold blended meetings when we are finally allowed back into places of worship.

The reason given by OpenReach for this high cost is that they will have to close the road in order to dig a trench across so that they can bring a line across.

Not being an engineer, I am somewhat bewildered by this, since there are houses on both sides of the road which I suppose have telephone lines, but whatever the reason, we cannot afford this sort of figure.

Has anybody any ideas for how we can achieve internet access inside the Meeting House, without having to dig up the road?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.