Hi Viz Please!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 7 Nov 2020, 12:31

Crikey!

Richard, James, and others, in neon pink lycra!

That would be a sight for sore eyes.  :-)

I'd probably swerve into a ditch!

Wendy Bailey
👍 1

Sat 7 Nov 2020, 07:37

If wearing the bright neon yellow/lime green hi viz is not thought to be help, in bright sun, how about adding neon pink or electric blue  as well, both should stand out. Not forgetting being reflective helps. As a car driver I do have protection all around, drive up to the speed limit. All road users should think safety and be responsible, not just car drivers.

I have also known skate boards on Hixet Wood come down the hill at great speed dressed all in dark clothing quite often hoodies, I heard them couldn't see till the last moment, I was not even in my car, hence my comments, ALL road users. Be safe be seen!

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 18:58

I see(sic) where you're coming from Harriet.

This has started me thinking (more!).  I tend not to drive so much these days anyway, and when I do it's usually below 50 mph  even on the "unrestricted" roads around Charlbury.  Can't see the point in dashing hither and thither.

But this thread has prompted me to do some research and I've discovered that one can buy "night time" glasses which fit over prescription ones, for about £12.00.  They claim to improve visibility, cut glare, and even help in misty or rainy conditions.

Does anyone have any experience of them?

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 18:43

It also applies to cyclists, Richard. If walkers can't see a bike coming down a hill towards them they won't get out of the way, and most cyclists expect everyone to get out of their way. This is something that came up at a Cotswolds wardens meeting I went to a few years ago at Northleach, how to get cyclists to appreciate the difference between footpaths (no bikes or horses) and bridleways (bikes and horses as well as pedestrians) because leading a group of walkers in the above situation would be vey dangerous especially if as mainly being discussed at the time the bike was coming towards you out of the sun on a footpath.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 4

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 12:06

Spot on Harriet. Low sun is a massive issue at this time of year. Although I have a custom-printed hi-vis and a very bright rear light, they're precisely no use if the driver is blinded and can't see what's ahead.

Slow down and drive to the road conditions. The world won't end if you take a minute longer.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 08:24

Yellow high viz with black or other dark clothing on a sunny autumn day when a lot of the surrounding hedges and trees are a combination of yellow leaves and black branches also doesn't make you stand out to anyone coming towards you if you have the sun behind you because you blend into the background. This applies to walkers, cyclists, horse riders, and maybe cars if they're in the right colour scheme. 

stephen cavell
👍 6

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 07:27

Good to see that this thread has been brought back to the central subject of visibility of all road users. It is an indisputable fact that walkers, cyclists and dogs do not always make themselves as visible as they could or indeed should. There are plenty of items available to improve ones chances of being seen by motorists at whatever speed. I dismiss the obfuscation of the debate on speed - that is for another thread. I note that the thread on head torches touches on the same subject.  And by the way Rudolph had a shiny nose not a shiny backside OK for oncoming traffic but useless for following traffic.

Philip Ambrose
👍 7

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 18:47 (last edited on Thu 5 Nov 2020, 20:17)

Richard, OK valid point, but you cannot see what you cannot see if you get my drift.

Contrast a pedestrian in a white coat or a black one, a cyclist in black lycra or one in something more visible and with good bike lighting, a motorist in a white or yellow car with lights on and a black / navy blue one without. A horse rider with /without a tabard or hi-vis hat band.

If you insist on wearing dark clothing through fashion vanity,  accessorise yourself / your bike / horse. In the case of pedestrians, a white carrier bag and a small torch in your coat pocket is a good insurance policy in case you end up returning home later than planned. Many roads round here do not have pavements.

This isn't about one type of road user versus another, more about common sense, self-preservation and responsibility for one's own safety (and that of other road users).

Hamish Nichol
👍 5

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 16:36

Richard - deer also get killed on roads very regularly! Thankfully not Rudolph so maybe that nose of his is also keeping him safe?

Whilst driving at a safe speed is unquestionably the correct thing to do, I do question other road users self-preservation when they're dressed in perfect camouflage to their surroundings - it's the same as car drivers driving without their lights on (I'm thinking in fog or dawn/dusk rather than in the pitch black!) - except the car driver has a strong metal box protecting them. 

vicky burton
👍 4

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 13:48

I'm not against pedestrians and cyclists -quite the opposite Richard Fairhurst. Indeed I have voiced my concerns on the speed of some vehicles on this forum before. Sadly, animals DO get killed on the road including deer Richard. I am merely trying to raise awareness and thus help avoid anyone being injured, not incur your wrath and get another thread kicked in to the "debate" bin!  

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 7

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 13:16 (last edited on Thu 5 Nov 2020, 13:31)

If you can’t see what’s in front of you, slow down. A 60 sign does not mean you have an inalienable right to drive at 60. (Highway Code rule 125.)

Deer don’t wear hi-vis and they don’t have flashing lights. Well, except Rudolph.

stephen cavell
👍 2

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 11:52

I agree Vicky. Even on a sunny morning a cyclist might start out in the sun and then disappear into shaded stretch.

Wendy Bailey
👍 3

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 11:51

Thank you Vicky, I was making this very point with my "Respectful Request" comment made in a different thread. It's not only car drivers that  take responsibility. 

Walkers, cyclists and skate boarders come on, take note. Start a fashion, be bright be safe!

vicky burton
👍 17

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 09:51 (last edited on Fri 6 Nov 2020, 09:18)

I'm concerned for  a minority of people using roads around Charlbury dressed entirely in dark, non-reflective clothing. I refer to those walking jogging and occasionally even cycling! I just want to put it out there how risky it is to be on a road where cars can go up to 60 miles an hour and you are relying on someone's eyesight to spot you against a background of hedges and trees. Driving towards the Duke of Marlborough yesterday evening, there were a few people (who I presume had just got off a bus) were making their way home walking on the road with dark clothes and no torch etc. This morning, at rush hour, I drove past another jogger dressed entirely in black on the road. Two days ago, a group of walkers had got caught in the very heavy rain and again were all in dark clothing and I had to spot them with my wipers on full whack! With the nights pulling in, fog and prevailing nimbostratus no doubt; may I please urge those to please wear something light in colour and/or reflective- even during the day? It doesn't need to be fluorescent just enough to pick you out against the scenery in ample time to ensure traffic can safely make space for you. :-)  

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.