DPD - Scam- Beware !!!!

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 4 Nov 2020, 10:18

I logged mine on the Action Fraud website.  Very good and you are given an "incident number"  Took about less than 5 minutes.  The incident number is necessary if you want to notify e.g. your insurers (possible Identity Theft).

The package I received was, it turned out, from Vodafone.  When I got the letter from them thanking me for opening an account with them I called their fraud action line.  They were very helpful and asked for the incident number.

I've since received a letter from them confirming that the account has been closed and that any financial loss will be reimbursed.

Diana Limburg
👍

Wed 4 Nov 2020, 09:55

I had a similar email on Sunday, purporting to come from DPD. Fortunately I was a) not expecting anything and b) I was actually in all day. So a bit of further investigation of the email revealed the following additional signs of fraud:

- nowhere was my name used, nor was there reference to whom the parcel was from

- the email address on close inspection was actually a hotmail address (not even remotely looking like it was from DPD)

I  flagged it as fishing, though perhaps should report it to police/DPD too?

Diana

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 4 Nov 2020, 09:43 (last edited on Wed 4 Nov 2020, 09:46)

Interesting, as DPD were the courier company used by the scammer when I got "caught".

I've noticed that a lot of the others e.g. Hermes, UPS, and Royal Mail, text or email to give notice of the imminent delivery.

DPD didn't on this occasion - do they ever?  If not that may be why scammers use them.  If you are notified that something is arriving and you haven't ordered it it gives you a chance to contact the courier company or simply to refuse to accept delivery.

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Tue 3 Nov 2020, 19:29

Waiting for a couple of deliveries, i receive an official e mail request to re book a missed delivery, advising that 2 attempts have been made. The orders were place yesterday- so was confused as how 2 attempts had been made ? - We were in at the alleged time of the attempted delivery. No card through the letterbox.

A link was provided and once clicked asked for a rebooking of the delivery would incur a re delivery fee of 2.35 euro , or a collection from the local depot. listed as being Park Royal, North London. 

After putting the number into the tracking page of the web site- along with post code- no match was found. A telephone call (non premium rate !) of 28 mins to be connected to an operator , they check the details and confirm its a scam. The conversation then reveals that they have 20 plus such calls a day.

2 hrs of my day used up !

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.