headtorch

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 12:21 (last edited on Fri 6 Nov 2020, 12:23)

I bought mine about 3 years ago.  I can't remember from where, and it doesn't have any brand name on it.  

I don't use it for jogging or cycling - just to peer into the under stairs cupboard, nooks and crannies, or the shed (which has no light), and very occasionally if I go for a stroll (when it's dark).

It was relatively expensive - I remember going for one that was at the upper end of the range, and I wanted one with the option to configure the LEDs, so I can have e.g. constant white, intermittent white, white and red, white or red, and all manner of permutations.

It also has the facility to tilt so if I do use it on a walk I always have the beam pointing down, and that lights up the pavement/ground about 1 metre ahead so that I don't fall down a hole or step in mess.  A car driver would only be dazzled by the beam if they stopped, got out of their car, and threw themselves down in front of me.  If they did that I would wonder if they should be driving at all.

3 years with the same battery and no explosions yet!

sue holiday
👍 1

Fri 6 Nov 2020, 10:30

I once saw a television documentary about the safety of wearing head torches. These were considered safe to wear (from the wearer's perspective) if bought from a reputable supplier. However, some of the cheaper head torches they mentioned were dangerous to wear. They interviewed one lady who had purchased a cheap one for running regularly in dark evenings, who said she had to remove hers to give her more headroom to drive home after one of her runs. As soon as she had taken it off placing it on the front passenger seat of her vehicle beside her to drive off it exploded. Other similar incidents were discussed. The conclusion of the programme was that it was safe to wear good quality more expensive head torches where the place of manufacture is traceable, but not the cheaper ones. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 12:33

I agree Robin.

Robin Taylor
👍 1

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 12:20

I think the original thought about dazzling head torches was where pedestrians were wearing them, which puts them on the near side, with the torch at eye level for the driver. I think hand held torches are better in this particular case, because they are lower down, and the direction of the beam can be controlled better to point downwards.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 11:57

I agree that clothing is a good idea - I think the hi-viz "sashes" are excellent for walkers, joggers, and cyclists.

Not sure what can be done about lights on cycles but personally never had a problem with them as cyclists tend to be approaching from the other side of the road!  

A bright LED rear red light on a cycle in front of me is great.  See them a long way ahead, even if it's raining/drizzly/misty.

I'm no longer a cyclist (although I may be again when the Charlbury electric bike scheme takes off) and I wonder if any of our cycling friends has a view?

Robin Taylor
👍

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 11:32

I don’t find them contradictory. You can make yourself more visible with clothing and lights, but if your light dazzles oncoming traffic, then you are actually making yourself less visible.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 11:03

Interesting that we now have two contradictory threads - one exhorting higher visibility, and the other not!

Cyclists do of course have to obey the law - Road Vehicle Lighting Regulation (RVLR)

"At it’s simplest level though, what does the law require? You need a white front light that, since 2005, can be flashing and a rear red light that’s also allowed to flash. However, the RVLR also requires your bike to have a rear reflector and pedal reflectors."

(https://www.britishcycling.org.uk)

Mandy cooper
👍

Thu 5 Nov 2020, 09:12

I find these really dangerous for car drivers as you can’t see what is coming towards you as they shine straight at you when your driving. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 2 Nov 2020, 13:37

If you get one with a choice of LED light combinations it can be jolly useful if you are walking along the Fawler (or any country) road in the dark.  Also great for cyclists.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 2 Nov 2020, 11:09

Probably some in Robert Dyas as well, if Mountain Warehouse is out of stock. 

Katie Ewer
👍

Mon 2 Nov 2020, 10:08

Mountain Warehouse is in the precinct opposite Bakers the butchers and next door to Waterstones.

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 2 Nov 2020, 09:38

Where is Mountain Warehouse in Witney?

stephen cavell
👍

Mon 2 Nov 2020, 07:19

Certainly better than trying to hold a torch in your teeth while you search for that tap in the back of the cupboard

John Kearsey
👍 1

Sun 1 Nov 2020, 20:24

I bought one in Poundland for er...a pound!

K Harper
👍

Sun 1 Nov 2020, 19:28

Mountain Warehouse in Witney?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 1 Nov 2020, 18:44

eBay has lots.

Jean Adams
👍

Sun 1 Nov 2020, 17:57

What a good idea. from where can I buy this?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.