Advice on buying a TV

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 28 Oct 2020, 13:13

Bought a 49" QLED  LG tv recently from Richer Sounds. 6 yr guarantee. Perfect size for us, brilliant picture and good sound (though we play music through the stereo). First experience of a smart tv and very impressed.

Charlie M
👍

Tue 27 Oct 2020, 17:48 (last edited on Tue 27 Oct 2020, 17:51)

When my old TV self-destructed, I had to take it to the dump, and while I was there I did a check to see what brand there was most of. On that basis I would never buy an LG TV, as there were a lot of them there. I eventually got a Panasonic (from Tesco).

I was previously going to buy the same model from Curry's PC World or (whatever they were called then) in Witney, but they expected me to pay the delivery to their shop! I have never used them since!

I too have used Richer Sounds, but only for audio devices; their service was exemplary.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 27 Oct 2020, 16:52

As Christine said Richer Sounds in Oxford. Best prices, personal service, extended warranty free of charge I think. They do all manner of sizes of TVs.

Joanne Fox
👍

Tue 27 Oct 2020, 15:41 (last edited on Tue 27 Oct 2020, 15:42)

Or how’s about getting an Amazon Fire Tablet instead?

You can watch BBC Player. 

Plus if a family member already subscribed to Netflix and or Prime Video they can add you on free.  

Plus you get a tablet to read the news, send email, text from FB Messenger. 

And video chat for free via Messenger. 

Fire 7 costs about £50.  Great buy. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 21:34

"Which?" has a good guide on best sizes for your room, types, streaming etc. But I completely agree about how confusing it is, and have so far failed to make a decision. 

If you want a large TV, Richer Sounds in Oxford would advise. But I don't want anything too big. Corbetts in Chippy also offer advice, but unfortunately don't offer the brand that I will probably select. And there is not that much choice in smaller TVs, so reviews on John Lewis's website can probably also help if that's want you want.

Kati Eidenbenz
👍

Mon 26 Oct 2020, 17:46

Can anyone help me choose a TV? I am completely overwhelmed with what is on offer. Maybe someone who has bought one recently can give advice?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.