Traffic signs

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 20:30 (last edited on Thu 15 Oct 2020, 20:35)

That is something to take up directly with Gigaclear, Amanda. I would suggest that people contact the community engagement manager, Dominic Hones. His email is dominic.hones@gigaclear.com. 

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 20:10

Liz, how does the inconvenience of the residents of The Green who lost their phone line etc fall into these arrangements. Will they get compensation and how do they access it?

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 16:48

Many thanks Phil, Richard, and Liz. I think I was a little overwhelmed. 
Anyway, today has been a bit quieter.  

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 15:25 (last edited on Thu 15 Oct 2020, 16:58)

Richard and I have both done what we can to make sure that any issues are resolved by Gigaclear as quickly as possible. We had a meeting with them before they began work so we could understand exactly what was being proposed. I know it hasn't always been plain sailing but then a project this large was never going to be without its problems and I am sorry this has affected you disproportionately, Hannen.  I am also sorry that you haven't been able to get the information you seek from the council, but a lot of council employees are being redeployed again to work on Covid related matters as the numbers of cases increase in the city.  However I can tell you that the permits will simply require them to leave the roads, verges and pavements in good repair when they finish, and will include the date by which the work has to be completed, and if they do not finish on time they will be fined.  As far as I am aware they are working in line with this. 

Phil Morgan
👍 2

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 15:00

Whilst we all recognise that the residents of Wellington Cottages have borne the brunt of the recent roadworks at Fiveways, please Hannen, do bother to vote - local representation is essential to our democratic life. 

National initiatives will always 'trump' local government concerns. 

By the way, when I previously mentioned "added value" in relation to property, I meant only that doorstep access to superfast broadband might prove a selling point for future residents wishing to work from home. Obviously you and I will be long gone by then...

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 14:08

I have just tried to see the permit from OCC.  Usual thing.  Telephone just rings out and a web enquiry requires registration and a lot of form filling.  Even then, I doubt I'll get what I want.  It's a simple enquiry: when will the nightmare end?

If our elected representatives have no power then I really do wonder why I bother to vote.

I should have listened to my children.

Mind you, I was amused yesterday to see the LA operative arriving to mow the lawn - only to turn around because it has been destroyed, and no longer exists.

merle esson
👍 3

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 13:16

I am glad they have jobs, and wages to take home to their families. They are very happy to receive tea and biscuits. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 11:07

Btw, I am editing my previous post to take out the reference to Councillors.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 11:06

Thank you Richard.  Apologies, I had overlooked that.

I wonder what poor Charlbury has done to be visited by this chaos.

No, I haven't contacted Gigaclear.  I have no complaint about the workmanship or the operatives who, as others have said, are polite and just doing their jobs.  I don't envy them.

I am at the sharp end here with a cottage on a corner and trying to work remotely.  So have had weeks of drilling, shaking and noise just (literally) a few feet away.  On two sides. I also seem to be blessed with being bang opposite what appears to be site HQ so have lorries, vans, dumper trucks, and this morning a crane.  On more than one occasion I've had to advise customers that I will call them back because it has sometimes been impossible to conduct a telephone conversation.

No, I don't expect Gigaclear to apologise for weeks of very real disruption to my quality of life to provide a potential service I never asked for and will never use.  It and MKJ are just fulfilling the terms of their contract with whoever.

I'd just like to have some indication as to when it will all end!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 6

Thu 15 Oct 2020, 10:01

Hannen, as explained in the previous thread, councillors (whether town or county) do not have the option to approve or refuse these works. Like any other utility, OCC officers issue a permit based on technical requirements and finishing the work at the time agreed.

If you have not received satisfaction from Gigaclear (I presume you’ve already contacted their feedback address with your concerns?) then I guess you could contact OCC directly and ask to see the permit conditions.

Charlie M
👍 2

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 21:08

I would be happy if they would just pack up and go, and take their damned internet with them! ENOUGH!!

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 18:52 (last edited on Thu 15 Oct 2020, 11:07)

"if you are a home owner, you may want to consider that the little black box in the tarmac outside your property could add value as and when it is sold."

How, why?  5% 10%?  I have no intention of selling and my heirs will not be impressed by the additional Inheritance Tax incurred.  Where is the hard evidence for this assertion?

Angus B
👍

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 15:49 (last edited on Wed 14 Oct 2020, 15:50)

In response to john h: there are road works are at the end of Hixet Wood before it enters Fiveways so if you turn left off Dancers Hill into Woodfieldd Drive you cannot access Fiveways junction; likewise if you travel along Sheep Street into Hixet Wood. But there is no 'No left Turn' sign the end of Woodfield Drive where it joins Hixet Wood which has resulted in a number of tight turning circles when cars encounter the barrier!

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 14:50

Agree with Amanda and John. 
I think it depends where you live. If in a Close or in a house with a generous frontage, then the noise and disruption will be less. 
We’ve taken two breaks to try and escape from the building site our immediate area has become. 
Yet still it carries on. 
When we returned from the last, last week, it was to discover that the gas main had been fractured. Don’t MKJ have charts or equipment to alert them to such things?
When will the nightmare end?

john h
👍 2

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 11:52

Phil. I think you missed my point, I cannot complain about MKJ and their work, our Close was done some weeks ago ,and the guys were very efficient and courteous.  My complaint is with road signage, at the time of this message, the turn from The Slade onto Dancers Hill states Road Closed ,as does The Playing Close and Browns Lane. Also Sheep St is closed, Question ? Not a road work to be seen. Where are the road works?.  John Harrison

Amanda Epps
👍 3

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 10:46

Phil and Stephen, I don’t think that the residents of the bungalows in The Green would agree with you.  They lost phone and internet connection for days thanks to MKJ.  Neither would Openreach who had to make numerous visits to repair the damage. 
It would be good practice to inform residents in advance when they were going to remove access to the highway but they failed to do this.  

stephen cavell
👍 4

Wed 14 Oct 2020, 07:10

Phil I agree that MKJ are doing a competent and neat job installing the cables for Gigaclear. Whilst they have been working around the the Enstone X roads for the past 4 weeks I have had daily experience observing their work methods. Always polite helpful and courteous. They were given a job to do and they have done it well.

Phil Morgan
👍 8

Tue 13 Oct 2020, 14:55

Yes John, there are a number of signs such as "Road Ahead Closed" and "Diversion" being left out after their use-by date. 

Still, it is a fast moving operation and, overall, I am impressed by the efficiency of the contractor (MKJ). I know that many residents will not want the service that they are installing but, if you are a home owner, you may want to consider that the little black box in the tarmac outside your property could add value as and when it is sold.

Also, the workers, in my experience, seem to be very polite and helpful to the public.

john h
👍 4

Tue 13 Oct 2020, 14:02

Has anyone tried to make sense of the latest road closure signs around Town, They must of put them up after a party !!!. A stranger to Town would go round in circles never to been seen again!. John Harrison

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.