Recycling and Fixing Electronic goods - where or who?

Father Clive Dytor
👍 2

Thu 8 Oct 2020, 17:07

Banners in Chippy will take any old electrical stuff and they do a very good line in collecting for a particular charity. Ask for Christine or Wendy.

Mary Heckman
👍

Thu 8 Oct 2020, 07:54

Would an old bread machine count as a small electrical?

Miles Walkden
👍

Tue 6 Oct 2020, 16:00

Thanks Christine - small spelling error in address for greeenhub (greenhug :) sounds nice though).

Christine Elliott
👍 2

Tue 6 Oct 2020, 13:17 (last edited on Tue 6 Oct 2020, 19:49)

Following on from my articles in the last two editions of Charlbury Chronicle, I can say that Charlbury Green Hub is offering a repair service for things in Charlbury. Putting people in touch with others in the community who have good repair skills. Can I sign you up Richard for offering your skills? Some electrical items can be repaired because they are well made and spare parts are available, whereas some are unfortunately made to be disposable! So please email repairs@charlburygreenhub.org.uk if you have something that needs mending.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 6 Oct 2020, 13:04

Great stuff.  Totally agree.  The black box system works well for small items.  Yes, You Tube is wonderful for this sort of thing.  Not just electrical either.  The lock on our dishwasher jammed a few months ago so I searched YouTube and fixed it myself with just a cheap screwdriver.

Generally though, I tend to leave the leccy stuff to the sparkies.  Potentially dangerous.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 6 Oct 2020, 11:09 (last edited on Tue 6 Oct 2020, 11:12)

Hi Miles, I am also a believer in 'mend and make do' with electrical goods, within reason and proper safety, of course.  For disposal, the WODC recycling information is clear:

• Anything that has a plug, batteries or needs charging can be put in your black recycling box.
  • Please keep separate from any glass.
  • We cannot collect tv screens or computer monitors.

As for repair, one can find all sorts of advice on the web (via YouTube videos or other sites) for just about anything it seems. Search on something like "how to repair a ..." One can take or leave the advice, and if the alternative is to chuck it, then there is no harm in just diving in. Again, with due regard to safety at all times, especially with electrics.

One of my lockdown projects, aided by good instructions found on the web, was to disassemble and repair a dripping Aqualisa power shower unit, thereby avoiding consigning it to the bin, not to mention a couple hundred quid in replacement costs.

Miles Walkden
👍

Tue 6 Oct 2020, 10:44

Hi I have a number of broken electrical goods, some I need to dispose of, some I would like to try and fix. Thoughts or help on either...?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.