TV not working

Jean Adams
👍

Sun 6 Dec 2020, 20:03

We did not have a problem with our first TV in 1946.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 6 Dec 2020, 18:54 (last edited on Sun 6 Dec 2020, 18:55)

Thanks Joanne. But, no, I don't want an Amazon Fire. 

I have in fact an Amazon Firestick that works OK on the TV whether or not the aerial is working. But I find it fiddly to use, even with the assistance of Alexa. It (and the TV) also give me Netflix through broadband, but I don't need or want that. I also get BBC iplayer, ITV hub, Channel 4, Curzon Cinema etc on the TV and/or the firestick-- just not Sky Arts. But I did manage to catch up Sky Portrait Artists of the Year yesterday, and can now watch it OK on the TV -- just not record it!

I really like having a recorder, so I can watch programmes when I feel like watching, and also without adverts. I am hoping I can fix it. Otherwise I will investigate alternatives in the new year. But thanks for the thought!

Joanne Fox
👍

Sun 6 Dec 2020, 18:37

Christine have you considered an alternative?

Amazon Fire Tablet w BBC iPlayer 

Plus Netflix if you have s friend or neighbour who subscribes, they can add you to theirs at no charge for each of you. 

My TV now sits unloved

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Sat 5 Dec 2020, 21:11

The German Democratic Republic, Hannen? Are you stuck in a time warp?

And actually trying to sort out my TV has been rather like playing with the valves in my old Bakelite radio -- a frequent evening occupation when I was a girl. I have now regained my TV channels, but only by sacrificing the Freeview tuning in the Blu-ray recorder. I'm hoping that I may be able to reinstate the recorder when the signal from the Oxford transmitter becomes stronger. 

I see online that I perhaps ought to replace the HDMI wiring, and may need to resort to professional help. If anyone reading this knows about HDMI etc (not valves!), I would be happy to receive advice!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 5 Dec 2020, 18:33

Crikey.

Dunno.  Glass things which break easily and can only now be bought from the German Democratic Republic.

They hum and glow in the dark...

John Dora
👍 2

Sat 5 Dec 2020, 18:22

Hannen, are these piston valves or slide valves?

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 4 Dec 2020, 17:58

Have you tried replacing the valves?  ;-)

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 4 Dec 2020, 16:36

I don't have a satellite, Helen. I get Freeview via an aerial on the roof. Perhaps I need a new TV, but don't want to invest if it is the aerial that is faulty.

I can see that people across the country are reporting having lost all Freeview channels, and that there is some engineering work on the transmitter at Beckley. But if nobody else in Charlbury is having the problems, I will have to assume that it is the aerial or the Panasonic TV and recorder. 

Helen Josephine Wright
👍

Fri 4 Dec 2020, 15:57

My daughter found loose screws on my satellite, probably due to fierce winds & now television working - hope yours ok now

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 4 Dec 2020, 15:23

I have had no freeview channels on either my TV or BluRay recorder for the past few days (except for a short burst on the recorder). I have tried to retune the recorder which has made matters worse, as now no channels or TV guide is showing.

Fortunately I can still watch via the internet, but not Sky Arts which I was really enjoying.

Have other people had problems? Or is it just me? I get my signal from Beckley/Oxford.

Helen Josephine Wright
👍

Mon 5 Oct 2020, 15:17

Thank you all, looks like decoder as Saturday afternoon after switching off mains it worked well for about 20 mins but on changing channel it stopped.  Since then keep switching off & back on but no joy.

Jean Adams
👍

Sun 4 Oct 2020, 21:10

I called Mr Rawlins TV in Witney whenthat happened recently. It was the black box attached to the aerial which had become loose and filled with water.

Mike Summers
👍

Sun 4 Oct 2020, 17:51

Out FreeSat went off during heavy rain, but recovered after a few minutes

Mark Luntley
👍

Sun 4 Oct 2020, 17:33

Hello Helen, Its obviously hard to diagnose at a distance. I can say its not likely to be anything to do with recent gigaclear or wifi interference. Some likely causes might be:

1. A connection cable has come loose, perhaps cleaning the TV. Check the arial cable into the TV/decoder and from the decoder to TV are properly connected.

2. The decoder might not be working, it might work if you switch it off and back on again at the wall plug.

3. It could be the dish or the cable connection from the dish down the wall. It might be the dish has become dislodged and isn't pointing quite correctly at the satellite. 

Its worth checking if its the first two things - if not its worth checking with a reputable arial contractor. We've used Banbury Arials in the past.  

Helen Josephine Wright
👍

Sun 4 Oct 2020, 13:23

Hi for four days my television is not connecting to satellite dish so I can only watch via iPlayer. This means missing local news & several programmes other than BBC as their catch up does not give access in same way.  As I am alone & not very mobile after operation wondered if it was due to the local road / WiFi work as have had some issues since it started but never this long. An6 ideas how I can find out? Thanks Helen 07702 087802

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.