Re-wilding lawns

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Fri 2 Oct 2020, 10:25

https://bunkershillgardenshop.co.uk/

Is a great resource for this type of thing.  And they deliver.  We bought a packet of wild meadow seed from them.  They are very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful.

Jenny Chambers
👍 4

Thu 1 Oct 2020, 17:05

Phil, see if you can get hold of yellow rattle seed. If you can, (it's in high demand these days!) then start by close mowing the whole area. Now is a good time to do that. Then rake out all the thatch to expose as much bare earth/soil as possible. Sow the yellow rattle thinly, ensuring contact with the soil.

Next spring, the yellow rattle will germinate and because it it semi-parasitic on grass, it will weaken the existing grass. Thereafter, you can add in other wildflowers, either as seed or as plug plants. 

There is no point adding any wild flowers to your grass areas until you have reduced/weakened the grass. The grass will dominate and you will have wasted time, effort and money.

Hope that helps.

John Lanyon
👍 2

Thu 1 Oct 2020, 16:56

I mow my lawn which is now a meadow at the end of summer and compost all the mowings. You will certainly get buttercups for free. I have lots of ox-eye daisies in mine which by and large have seeded themselves. I think mullein is a great wild plant to add to your borders. Once again it will seed itself freely. Similarly with foxgloves. This is all a lot more interesting than a flat green lawn (unless you want to play football).

Phil Morgan
👍 2

Thu 1 Oct 2020, 16:30

I am currently converting all of my front lawn and part of my back lawn to a natural state. The areas haven't been mowed since early spring. I've got some natural tall grasses and loads of clover. A lovely friend has suggested lots of grasses and flowering plants to attract the bees, birds and butterflies which is exactly what I want. But, wow, what a price!

If anybody has ideas for things that I can get which are not going to cost a fortune, I would welcome advice.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.