Abandoned cottage - Ditchley area

Judy Kinchella
👍

Fri 1 Aug 2008, 13:36

I was visiting my aunt and uncle in Kiddington this morning and mentioned this cottage to them.

They said that it used to belong to a gamekeeper and got burnt down by some kids a few years ago. The gamekeeper apparently kept weird and wonderful things like animal heads.

ken jones
👍

Sun 13 Jul 2008, 13:37

i suggest you were trespassing.

Ian Taylor
👍

Mon 7 Jul 2008, 10:44

Hi, all...

I'm fairly new to the area and I like to explore my surroundings - so I found myself in the Ditchley Park area (on the side furthest from Charlbury) where I came across an abandoned cottage in the woods (Out Wood according to the map).

I went to have a look and it seems that it burned down, but I have no idea when - nature has moved in and looks like it has been there a while, but there is modern plastic guttering on the site (which isn't fenced off in any way).

Most intriguing of all was a massive stag's head (complete with antlers) and the skull of what could be a bison in one of the doorways, the discovery of which caused an exclaimation which surely drowned out (no pun intended after the awful weather) the music from Cornbury.

Is there a history behind this cottage? I'm curious to know why a home in such a peaceful spot has been left to ruin.

Here's a link to a map.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.