'Nextdoor Charlbury' app

Christine Battersby
👍 4

Sat 5 Feb 2022, 10:05

The BBC link says that Nextdoor "also allowed businesses to post directly into people's newsfeeds". 

Not for me. Thank you very much. 

Maggie Watts
👍 1

Fri 4 Feb 2022, 23:01

I think it’s important to remember that this site is paid for by Richard Fairhurst. Now that may be very noble but it can lead to conflicts of interest. Just putting that out there.

michele marietta
👍 1

Fri 4 Feb 2022, 19:07

It seems like it's basically this website, but with horrible advertising and no Grease Pit. :)

K Harper
👍

Fri 4 Feb 2022, 17:44

From BBC news pages today - F 4th Feb 2022

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-60246962
Kris

Heather Williams
👍

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 11:53

I couldn't unsubscibe from one of these

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 2

Sun 10 Oct 2021, 11:30

Andrew totally agree.  We had the other day and binned it after reading.

Andrew Greenfield
👍 7

Fri 8 Oct 2021, 19:11

I had an invitation to this a few months ago and binned it straight away; I feel this website is more than enough for anyone living in Charlbury or its near neighbour villages.

I also had the same letter through the door yesterday, and in my opinion, I think our dog must know how I feel as she chewed the letter into confetti sized pieces, though not so small that I couldn't figure out who it was from and then bin the confetti.

Any post that is addressed to "Charlbury Neighbour" or similar, rather than my name, followed by my postal address, is obviously spam and advertising, so goes straight in the recycling bin!

Kim Sale
👍

Fri 8 Oct 2021, 16:50

I'm on it too Helen and have found it very useful.

Shihui Liu
👍 10

Thu 7 Oct 2021, 13:07 (last edited on Thu 7 Oct 2021, 21:47)

I received the Nextdoor letter as well. The letter left a name on it which really tricked me. Glad I double checked on our forum.

Personally I prefer our Charlbury.info over some Silicon Valley new tech app, as this website/forum is managed and contributed by our real neighbours who care about our community. 

Lucy Mitchell
👍 4

Tue 15 Sep 2020, 16:25

I’m a member of Nextdoor.com and find it useful being part of the larger community, it seems to include me in news from Enstone, Stonesfield, Fawler, Combe to name a few. There are a lot of people helping one another, posting jobs and adverts too. I’ve found it very useful for recommendations/jobs. I think I’ve seen a part of the website saying you can invite neighbours via a free mailout, so perhaps this is why you’ve had a letter. Using it doesn’t diminish my need for (or enjoyment of!) Charlbury.info! 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 6

Tue 15 Sep 2020, 14:09

It's a marketing thing they do, apparently - they make the letter look like it's come from one of your neighbours who's signed up to the app. Silicon Valley types call this a "growth hack"!

Helen Holwill
👍

Tue 15 Sep 2020, 13:20 (last edited on Tue 15 Sep 2020, 13:25)

That's interesting information. The reason I took it more seriously is because the letter I've received has a specific name on it which seems like a genuine person (or at least it is the same name as one of the users of the Charlbury website):
'Your neighbour,
[person's name], Ticknell Piece Road'

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 4

Tue 15 Sep 2020, 12:17

It's a massive multinational company, based in the US and with a bit of a troubled reputation. I doubt the people running it have ever heard of Charlbury other than mail merging the town name into their latest mailshot!

Andrew Chapman
👍 3

Tue 15 Sep 2020, 11:31 (last edited on Tue 15 Sep 2020, 11:32)

I just googled this. 'Made by your neighbours in London and San Francisco.' There appear to be a lot of crime/privacy/racism concerns...

Helen Holwill
👍

Tue 15 Sep 2020, 11:25

I've just received a letter in the post encouraging me to download and use an app called 'Nextdoor Charlbury ... a neighbourhood hub for useful information such as business recommendations, lost pet notifications, safety updates and much more'.
I have always thought of the Charlbury website as our town's online hub, and find it to be a very good, clear, effectively, easily accessible one at that. I'm just wondering why an alternative might be necessary, and whether it would just dilute the effectiveness of this site. Or are there additional services it provides that this website doesn't, or can't? 
Have others signed up to this? Any thoughts, if so?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.