Grotesque effigy on Dyer's Hill.

victoria bull
👍 4

Wed 2 Sep 2020, 18:32 (last edited on Wed 2 Sep 2020, 18:33)

scarecrow: a figure made to look like a person, that is dressed in old clothes and put in a field to frighten birds away
superhero: a character in a story, film, etc. who has unusual strength or power and uses it to help people

Sally the scarecrow on Dyer's Hill exemplifies these dictionary definitions:  the figure on the bench wears old clothes and would frighten birds; the WI has strength, power and helps people. I'm very glad that this organisation thrives in our community and I thank them for restoring the bench.

Warning: there's a scary NHS Superman hovering over Woodstock Road.

Steve Jones
👍 4

Mon 31 Aug 2020, 18:29

Tim,
  I have produced such a map, in draft, and it will be available very shortly.

Charlie M
👍 4

Mon 31 Aug 2020, 11:17

"Slumped" ... hmmmm ... perhaps they are having a rest on their way home from an evening at the pub! :-) 

Wendy Bailey
👍 6

Mon 31 Aug 2020, 11:06

Here here well said Rachel. I would like to add more but would certainly get put in the debate page ! :)

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 9

Mon 31 Aug 2020, 11:02

Well done Rachel and the rest of the street fair team you all do a great job organising  events and competitions to raise much needed funds for the Corner house and Memorial Hall.

Is there going to be a online map link of all the Scarecrow's around the town to follow ?

Rachael Lunney
👍 9

Mon 31 Aug 2020, 10:34

Thanks for comments but her wig is part of her.

Thanks to chrlbury wi and rest of the enteries  we raised £34 which is good and that equarants to 4  hour hire of anne downer room

So thanks

Isabel Rosser
👍 4

Mon 31 Aug 2020, 07:17

There's no need for anyone involved to be offended - this isn't an attack on the brilliant WI. The bottom line is that to those approaching from Church Lane, the figure looks like a slumped body and it would be nice if it didn't. That's all! Removing the wig and propping her up so her head doesn't flop down and we can all see her cheerful face would resolve this very quickly:) 

Matthew Greenfield
👍 16

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 20:58

A classic Charlbury forum thread: Womens Institute scarecrow proves too scary!

Sam Baker
👍 5

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 20:23 (last edited on Sun 30 Aug 2020, 21:33)

She was the first one we found this afternoon on our hunt, the kids thought she was great! We have ours out at the top of Ticknell Piece (we are a little hidden away), and looking forward to finding more!

Jody O'Reilly
👍 3

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 15:42

There’s an R.O.U.S (Points for the movie reference) up on Nine Acres Close now, but he’s very friendly, not scary, and always willing to save the day! Must admit we didn’t think it ‘had’ to be every day Superheroes, the theme is ‘superheroes’ that’s how we’ve played it. 
looking forward to when the guide comes out, I’ve only spotted one other this weekend on Crawborough so far. 

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 6

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 15:30

Well I hope my ones in the shop window don't scare or offend  anyone, and it's safe to say that I don't think that I will changing my job description to make up artist anytime soon !  

Phil Morgan
👍 16

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 15:19

Hum... talk about 'storm in a tea cup'!

Have we got any evidence of scared children or worried passers-by?

Leah Fowler
👍 4

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 09:08 (last edited on Sun 30 Aug 2020, 09:10)

Sypathy for Nigel as he was first on the scene when John Stanley collapsed and died coming up from the station,  he then was involved in calling the ambulance when Derek Fowler broke his femur in church,  but it is nearly five years ago!! 

I have been told the lady on the seat is very pretty!  

All good publicity!  

Sara Harvey
👍 18

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 06:48

Goodness!! I am glad that there are some positive comments on here but am justifiably disappointed with the others. Whilst I acknowledge those opinions, following what has been a isolating and sad year for many we are all in a position to move forward and enjoy the life around us. Very kind and talented people have spent time, effort and talent in organising and participating in this event for the Charlbury community, that deserves thanks and appreciation not petty and really quite irrelevant personal observations. 

Richard Tebbutt
👍 18

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 21:06

Oh dear. It's just a scarecrow. Let's all try and have a bit of fun. Not everything nowadays needs to offend someone. Especially if it's on their behalf. 

Rachael Lunney
👍 5

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 19:56

It on  the beach as its the wi entry and the beach restored by the lovely charlbury Wi?

It part of charlbury street Fair superhero competion. We thought of doing a fun competion in charlbury other town and village do ond.

We are all volunteers and a map will be coming out soon.

Isabel Rosser
👍 4

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 18:32 (last edited on Sat 29 Aug 2020, 19:08)

First of all I can see that people have put a lot of work into it and I'm sure the last thing they intended to do was to frighten people, but to those approaching from Church Lane it's by no means obviously a "scarecrow." It looks deeply disturbing. Given that someone died very suddenly at that exact same spot two years ago, and the body was found there by passers-by, the location seems particularly insensitive. I'm sure the well intentioned people who put it there didn't know anything about this. Perhaps it could at least be relocated? 

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 7

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 18:30

It’s brilliant and has a cheeky face.  I think the WI have been the first to put their entry in.  Let’s hope all the good people of  Charlbury come and support this year’s Street Fair to support the upkeep of the Corner House and Memorial Hall.   

nigel rosser
👍 3

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 18:22

Great idea to scare children and worry passer's-by. Brilliant. Most appropriate.

Steve Jones
👍 6

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 18:22

The scarecrow "superhero" competition is not meant to be about the cartoon characters of Marvel Comics or Hollywood film series. The brief was for figured that recalls the everyday superheroes that have helped keep society and community running through the COVID-19 pandemic, those who have made an impact on policies, who have raised funds and generally acted as inspirational examples, whether as individuals, or as a group.

The WI character looks rather jolly to me, and a long way from dead.

The competition was announced on the Charlbury website and on social media channels. There will be a map drawn up, so that the children and other residents of the town can make their own mind up.

Such a thing is not so unusual. Hailey has had similar figures in the past, albeit on a different theme.

Nikki Frankum
👍 8

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 17:28

Robin is right, the WI have been the first to put up their scarecrow as part of the Street Fair competition that's been highly publicised so a great opportunity as more are put in place to take the kids on a scarecrow hunt! The bench Sally the Scarecrow is sitting on is the WI bench put in place in 1971 and just been refreshed this summer so an appropriate place to put her I'd say. Hoping that she hasn't been vandalised as I thought she looked awesome when I saw a photo of her. I'm sure Street Fair Committee will be publishing where they are all going but believe there's something like a dozen being put out. Great idea to help raise much needed funds for the Corner House & Memorial Hall. 

nigel rosser
👍 1

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 17:16

Er, given that most residents and passers by don't know of this competition is it therefore even more inappropriate? And since when did superheroes look like slumped - apparently distressed - old women on street benches? Worzel Gummage looks like a scarecrow; this looks like a reject from Madame Tussauds.

Robin Taylor
👍 6

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 16:59

Er, is it an entry in the Street fair Superhero (scarecrow) competition?

nigel rosser
👍 3

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 16:50

Why is there an effigy of an apparently dead woman on the Dyer's Hill bench just yards from where a very real person collapsed and died a few years ago on his way up from the station?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.