"Lean To" Office

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 1 Sep 2020, 17:17

Think I may have come unstuck!  Again!

Called WODC who said that they were not dealing with tel enquiries due to Covid-19.  Strange, I thought that would be much safer than face to face or hard copy.  Still, what would I know?

Anyway, the nice lady pointed me to the part of the website where I could download a .pdf to complete and submit.  However, as it is a .pdf one can't type the information in, so pretty useless really.

At my wit's end, I emailed my Mother-in-law who used to be a Principal Planning Inspector (she chaired the Heathrow Runway 5 thing).

M-i-Law pointed me to this:

Outbuildings: Conservation Area homeowners have the same PD rights as those of regular homeowners with the exception of the ability to erect an outbuilding to the side of the house.

So that's that, I think.  So much for remote working.  Thanks for the contributions!

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 1 Sep 2020, 13:13

Thanks Steve, most helpful although I think a call to WODC would be in order.

It would be on the side elevation, but not visible from the road (only to the scallywags who tore down some fencing, trespassed, and tried to break in a few weeks ago).

What is the significance of the side elevation please?

Steve Jones
👍 1

Mon 31 Aug 2020, 18:37

Hannen,

if this lean-to isn't on the primary elevation or a side elevation, then I think you are OK, even in a conservation area.

As far as electrics go, then they do have to conform to electrical regulations, but you seem to have that covered. Fixed wiring, properly installed, is far safer then temporary extension leads, so no need for that.

As long as you don't make it "habitable", then I'm sure you are fine. Nothing stopping you making it cosy though.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 16:02 (last edited on Sun 30 Aug 2020, 18:46)

So, we now need to ask tradespeople (if that term is still permitted) if they are a "Competent Trades-person" .

Not going to get off on the right foot, in my opinion.

Are we still "allowed" to use "sinister"?  Perhaps I should have said "any" foot.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 15:20 (last edited on Sun 30 Aug 2020, 15:53)

Thanks Steve,

That is my understanding too.  If Building Regs are required for a shed then I suspect that there are a lot in Charlbury gardens and allotments which will have to be bulldozed.  Not to mention the "workshops" which many have "converted" their garages into.

All I want to do is to put up a small shed which will be out of sight, and run an electrical spur through to it from the main house.  If that isn't "permitted" I can run an extension cable around, which will be fun when it rains.  I'm not going to store hazardous chemicals there, well just me.

I will use IGM Electrical for the leccy bit and I have checked: they are on the "Competent Persons" checklist so can self-certify.

Anyway, having renovated 5 properties in my lifetime I am familiar with all of this.  I also worked as a solicitor in the Surrey County Council Planning Department.  And I will ask the WODC for guidance.  

Frankly, if one can't put up a small shed to use as a very basic office then I begin to see why England is one of the least productive countries in the world. 

Steve Jones
👍 2

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 14:40 (last edited on Sun 30 Aug 2020, 14:48)

Building regulations do not normally apply to sheds.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

Buildings under permitted development do have to comply with building regulations of course, but I doubt this structure will be counted as such.

Incidentally, while there is permitted development, as Charlbury is a conservation area (in its entirety I believe), planning permission might still be needed, so that always needs checking.

Note that even sheds might need permission in a conservation area so, again, check with the authorities.

https://www.planningni.gov.uk/index/.../advice_home_structures.htm

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 13:22

But you will still need building regulations

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 30 Aug 2020, 10:48

Many thanks to all of you for your helpful ideas and suggestions.  Much appreciated.

Leah, thanks.  I had thought about pp but I suspect that this is "permitted development".  It will, in practical terms, be a small lean to shed.  Not high, with it's own access, i.e. not from the house.  So there will be no structural alterations to our cottage.

It would not be visible from the road.  Anyway, I will check with WODC.  We are in a conservation area so the rules may be tighter.  Even so, as I do not have clients or colleagues visiting me there is no noise impact or traffic/parking impact.

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 19:12 (last edited on Sat 29 Aug 2020, 19:12)

And planning permission?  

Kim Sale
👍 1

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 18:36

Have a look on the FB market place Hannen and see if you can find one. People often sell and give such things away. Of course you'd still need help to make it fit :-)

Jean Adams
👍 2

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 13:46

See Ed Bradbury no in ad above yours - garden gate

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 12:20

Help please!

I have been working remotely for about 5 years.  I now want a lean to structure on the side of our house.  It will be small, just big enough for me and a desk, chair, small printer, and small filing cabinet.  Natural light would be good as would some insulation!  So my Wife and I would recover our dining area!

I think it will need a solid base and proper flashing to prevent rainwater getting in.  Security is not a high priority as I would bring my laptop in at the end of the working day.

My budget is also small!  Does anyone know of anybody in the Town who could pop this up for a reasonable price?  I would get the electrics sorted separately.

Might be best to DM me here rather than clutter up the forum.

Many thanks, Hannen.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.