Good garden suggestions please

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 1 Jul 2008, 22:03

I've had a friend (just going off to Kenya, everyone I know seems to be leaving the country at an increasing rate, alas) recommend Fukuoka farming, which is in essence very "lazy". Ever heard of it?

Sounds good and I'm wondering how much it could be bent to a lazy…

Long post - click to read full text

Phoebe
👍

Mon 30 Jun 2008, 23:30

If you can, visit local gardens when they are open. Take a notebook and write down what seems to be growing well - ask the owners if you can't identify the plants. Then start planning.

Remember that this part of the world is not suitable for rhododendrons, camellias, azaleas or heathers, unless you are prepared to give them their own acid soil.

John Lanyon
👍

Fri 27 Jun 2008, 21:10

Katie, if you put some time into preparing the soil you will find you will be able to grow a much larger range of plants with much greater success. This means removing all the perennial weeds (e.g. dandelions, bindweed, ground elder, couch grass) with a fork and adding compost (preferably home-made).

A new garden is a great opportunity for you to create something special. Choose plants you really like then check their requirements before buying. Water the hole rather than the plant before planting.It's great fun and relatively cheap to raise plants from seed and some are very easy. Soon you will find that you will be running out of space and wish for a bigger garden.

Walk round your locality and spot plants in other people's gardens that you like and seem to be thriving. Ask the owner what they are and how to cultivate them.

I'd suggest you spend some time preparing the soil and then plant up the borders in the early Autumn. Plants will get established before Winter but won't get burnt out of the ground through drought.

Don't be in too much hurrry and try to enjoy the process of gardening. You will be delighted and surprised.

Katie Ewer
👍

Fri 27 Jun 2008, 20:25

We have a very new garden in Fawler and it is looking a bit sparse and sorry. I am a very novice gardener and quite a few bits I've bought have died despite my best efforts. So, could people suggest plants, particularly shrubs, that do well in our local soil (and are easy to grow). If you happen to have a cutting of said plant that you might like to donate to a grateful recipient..... :)
I realise this is a bit cheeky, but I'm scratching my head a bit as to how to fill my garden up and I've wasted money on stuff that died really quickly. It's land that's never been cultivated and the things that grow, do well, but many things just curl up! Any and all suggestions would be really welcome,
Kate.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.