KILN Dried HARDWOOD heating Logs V Briquettes

Mark Sulik
👍

Fri 28 Aug 2020, 23:18

Susie

I can see no evidence to support what you have mentioned , only for peat products- if you have anything that supports this I would be pleased to be directed to the information 

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 1

Fri 28 Aug 2020, 09:52

You are only allowed to use briquettes in Ireland because of greenhouse gases etc and saving the planet.

Neil V.
👍 2

Thu 27 Aug 2020, 14:39

Hi Mark, the most efficient and clean burning wood is hardwood with a moisture content of less than 20%. The lower the number, the better. How you get there - whether kiln dried or seasoned - is academic. Personally, I believe kiln-dried is expensive and wholly unnecessary if you have very well seasoned hardwood logs. Never burn anything that’s been treated, particularly softwood. S.L Forestry are superb suppliers. Their logs are at least two-year barn dried and always come in well under 20%. Using a modern wood burner, they are fantastic. 

Mark Sulik
👍 2

Wed 26 Aug 2020, 15:35

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/10/briquettes-clean-fuel-fireplace-wood-burning-stove

Information on briquettes found in an article on line, but unsure of the use or costs 

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 24 Aug 2020, 04:04 (last edited on Mon 24 Aug 2020, 04:05)

Interesting Mark.

I never clocked all this, but I begin to see its importance, both in terms of cost, and the environment.

I usually buy mine (for our wood burning stove, so enclosed) from JAG, because they are local, competitive, nice people, and they stack them (which I would find hard to).

Am a member of the Wychwood Wild Garden and they sell logs, but I have no idea where they fit into (sic) in the grand scheme of things!

Don't know what briquettes are, but happy to be educated!

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Sun 23 Aug 2020, 20:27 (last edited on Sun 23 Aug 2020, 21:33)

With changes in legalisation early 2021 , i would be interested to hear of and share opinions of others users current and proposed use of heating logs ( or alternative briquettes ) 

The use of KILN DRIED HARDWOOD wood has become more popular in recent years, as opposed to SEASONED wood. the burn time and calorific values differ dramatically   depending on the type of wood and the moisture content. All very confusing !

Also, the offers available are further confusing as loose material, tipped on your drive, is sold as ‘a loose load’ is measured in M3 , with different available lengths of log. No one tells you how many logs you get delivered.

9” length seems to be the most popular length for household consumption from my research.  Moisture content above 25% for seasoned products causes a faster burn and causes popping and spitting, problematic and a fire risk with open fires. 

Options of builders bags of logs is another option - further confusion as to the number of logs  or volume (Loose). 

Such a confusing industry, just like a mobile phone contract ! - and considering In future the use of Briquettes and looking to see what others think on this particular topic.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.