Wild Swimming

Nikki Rycroft
👍 2

Fri 21 Aug 2020, 11:23

Everyone also needs to be aware of the risk of contracting Leptospirosis (Weil's Disease) from wild swimming and even paddling. This isn’t just from rats as usually thought,  but also from all grazing animals alongside rivers and lakes. It is rare and can be avoided by covering cuts and broken skin but worth looking it up on www.nhs.uk and taking precautions before contemplating a swim ! 

Rod Evans
👍

Thu 20 Aug 2020, 12:15 (last edited on Thu 20 Aug 2020, 12:25)

Fact: Only 14% of our rivers currently are of 'good ecological status' under the Water Framework Directive.  We are not just talking about public health issues here but the health of the river, its ecosytem and its biodiversity - and beyond.  Kayakers and anglers don't always see eye to eye but everyone who enjoys being in, on or beside a river has a common interest here.  Wouldn't it be better to work together to try to get something done about it rather than dismissing those who are as 'doomsayers' on the basis that one person has seen 'little sign of contagion' - whatever that means - and a personal opinion that the main problem is agricultural run-off?

Whether a particular stretch of river is or is not 'safe to swim in' will vary for all sorts of reasons - the same stretch may be safe in human health terms one week but not the next.  You can make your own risk assessment - but yes, at times, particularly after heavy rainfall, there will be untreated sewage and surface run-off flowing down the river.  A skillful kayaker presumably doesn't fall in so doesn't swallow the water - but there are constant reports of people (around the country) who do falling ill. 

The last thing anyone involved here wants to do is discourage people, particularly youngsters, from enjoying the river - but so far as we can (relevant info often isn't available), it's important to be aware of the risks.  And if you're interested, of the problems which certainly include agricultural run-off but a lot else besides.

As I say, there is a common interest here so let's work together by supporting groups like the Evenlode Catchment Partnership and WASP - see the Evenlode thread and under CUTE! in the Debate section.

Hugh Belshaw
👍 1

Thu 20 Aug 2020, 10:46

The doomsayers make it sound as though the Evenlode is an open sewer but I paddle my kayak on it every week with others and have seen little sign of contagion. In my opinion the main polution problem comes from agricultural run off. The stretch above Jubilee Bridge is fine for wild swimmers.

Helen Josephine Wright
👍

Wed 19 Aug 2020, 21:28

When I noticed this thread on the Forum I felt really excited. Have been fortunate to swim in the Lido since it opened but really fancy wild swimming.  How sad our waters are in such a bad condition.  What can we do to help correct the situation?

Phil Morgan
👍 2

Sun 16 Aug 2020, 12:40 (last edited on Sun 16 Aug 2020, 12:41)

Thank you Jon for pointing people to this piece by George Monbiot. I have long been an admirer of his passionate journalism on environmental issues.

The reducing quality of the water in our rivers is a scandal and deserves political focus. 

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 2

Sat 15 Aug 2020, 09:18

More here about the state of our rivers.

Susie Burnett
👍 1

Fri 14 Aug 2020, 11:42 (last edited on Fri 14 Aug 2020, 11:43)

Despite our advice not to, my son went wild swimming with a friend in a lake in Hook Norton this week (with the owner's permission), before the rains, and both he and the friend he went with were struck down with a nasty stomach bug within a few hours of doing so. 

Rod Evans
👍

Fri 14 Aug 2020, 09:52

Philip - quite!  We are currently experiencing precisely the sort of weather event the water companies will use as an excuse for dumping untreated sewage in the rivers.

Philip Ambrose
👍 5

Sun 9 Aug 2020, 17:42

If you read the other thread about the Evenlode, you wouldn't go in it for a few days after a storm / period of heavy rain, that's for sure!

Any lakes etc are likely to be private and require the owners permission.

denise martyn
👍

Sun 9 Aug 2020, 08:29

Could anyone advise me of wild swimming locations near Charlbury please?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.