Can we expect more HGVs in Charlbury?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 8 Aug 2020, 10:20

In answer to Charlie M, I am pretty sure that there is a weight limit on the bridge over the Windrush between the two Barringtons. I think that the intended HGV alternative route is via the A429/A40 roundabout above Northleach, theoretically making both the A424 and A361 quieter in consequence. 

I spoke to a friend who drives for Thames Water. When he collects from Spelsbury he now has to go via Charlbury and through the centre of Witney to the Thames Water depot south of the town at the A40 roundabout. Going A361 via Burford to the A40 was less disruptive and quite a bit quicker. So in that instance at least there is a negative impact on Charlbury.

Liz Leffman
👍 3

Wed 5 Aug 2020, 13:01

Lorry movements are being monitored by OCC throughout the 18 month trial, and that includes traffic coming from Witney through Finstock and up to Charlbury. A check over the period of  a week was done several months ago to establish a baseline, and traffic will be monitored against that.

Charlie M
👍 1

Wed 5 Aug 2020, 11:18 (last edited on Wed 5 Aug 2020, 11:19)

Looking at a map of the area, and assuming that most northbound HGV's coming from the A40 are headed for the Chipping Norton area, I would say that the people who would be most concerned at this change would those who live in The Barringtons and Taynton. For southbound HGV's, probably Witney and Bladon people would be the most worried. But maybe HGV's would continue up the A40 to Oxford, from where they can go east on the M40, or north/south on the A34. I presume some kind of traffic research must have been carried out? I cannot immediately see why Charlbury should be more at risk.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 1

Wed 5 Aug 2020, 09:17

As HGVs are banned in Burford from today, will we see more of them in Charlbury? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.