Riverside Festival

mandy
👍

Tue 1 Jul 2008, 06:50

my son and his mates went had a great time there are all 16 and 18 it was nice for them to go somewhere and enjoy themselves.

Pippa Nash
👍

Mon 30 Jun 2008, 22:29

Just wanted to add my congratulations to the whole team - it was superb. I took my daughter (3 and a half) and she met one of her friends there and had a great time.

(Just a note though - I did offer help on the Friday before the festival, but never got an email reply. I didn't know how else to contact anyone - not knowing that many people in the town yet - so didn't push it. Happy to try again next year. I agree with other comments..Toby was awesome. What a great talent. )

Dave Oates
👍

Wed 25 Jun 2008, 16:59

We are delighted that the reaction has been so positive.

In terms of Malcolm's point about volounteers for next year, we are always short of help the week before to put up fences etc and also for stewarding duties during the festival itself. There will be postings on the forum next year once preparations are back underway.

Vikki
👍

Wed 25 Jun 2008, 08:56

Yeah, maybe it was the weather lately that put people off trading. I agree the Indian stall was suberb, and the the other stalls that were there were good to view aswell. I agree with Macolm about the young lad named Toby, what a voice!! Roll on next year!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Tue 24 Jun 2008, 17:06

Another voice to add to the clamour of acclamation - brilliant work, all of you. And as a parent of an 11 year old testing out her newly fledging wings, well done in creating an environment where one didn't panic as a parent (too much) about a mob of year 6 primary school kids having the run of the festival site for a couple of afternoons. Its so rare nowadays to feel large public events are "safe" enough for kids to learn independence without paranoid parental cotton wooling!

I wonder ... In some ways we don't want it much bigger, really...do we? What is the critical size when a festival becomes uncomfortably anonymous, "the crowd", the "mob", and not the "gathering"?

I helped out the first Green Gatherings and Glastonbury's more decades ago than I care to count, and recall the year it lost its intimacy of strangers to became the faceless crowd... sadness for the passing of an innocence.

Do the Riverside group discuss these issues of size and atmosphere?

The young man that struck me was a 16 year old called Toby. I have a feeling that we should "watch this space" as he is finding his voice now. I think he should move into a combo as his music has more orchestration and depth potential than solo guitar, and his searing but still lyrical tenor can cut through anything!

I did feel a parasite enjoying the free entertainment that the organisers must have slogged their guts out to put in train. Alas, just before the Riverside setup started I "popped" my back (stupid careless re-injury, dolt) so what little use an ill person on daily drugs giving a few hours of hazily stoned "functionality" could do, well that was done-for this year. Perhaps next year I can actually make a contribution instead of breaking something!

I'm sure more of "us consumers" should be involved, even a little bit, to make many hands and lighter work.

"Well done" seems such an inadequate compliment!

Dave Oates
👍

Tue 24 Jun 2008, 10:02

In answer to your question Vikki, we try to get as many stalls as possible. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, we didn't have as good a take up this year. However, the ones that were there were fantastic (particulalry the veggie Indian food!) Thanks to everyone that came down and supported us.For those of you that didn't attend, you missed a great weekend even though it was a bit damp on Saturday. Maybe we will persudae you next year!

And don't forget, if you are going to Cornbury Festival, make sure you check out the Riverside Stage

Vikki
👍

Tue 24 Jun 2008, 07:28

The music at the Riverside was very good, really enjoyed it but is it just me who thought there weren't many stalls and I was absolutely gutted that the Mexican food van wasn't there!

Andy Godfrey
👍

Mon 23 Jun 2008, 22:56

Fantastic stuff yet again.
Just how good were Gunbunny?

Kate Smith
👍

Mon 23 Jun 2008, 12:52

Seconded - what a fantastic effort goes it to putting it altogether! Congratulations!

Chris Tatton
👍

Mon 23 Jun 2008, 11:21

Just like to say a "big thank you" to all of the organisers of the Riverside Festival for another great and enjoyable weekend of music!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.