Jean Adams
👍 1

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 19:27

Or,you would not be able to get home,

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 19:26

Thank you Jean.

Peace has descended thanks to Rachel who asked him why he had sat there doing nothing for 1 hour and 20 minutes, with the engine running.  He has turned it off.  Whether he is now actively engaged in  furthering the roadworks I know not, and I am ashamed to say that I don't really care!

I hope that you have a better evening.

We shall look back on these times and laugh (possibly).

Jean Adams
👍 1

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 19:19

Hannan. I would invite you for supper but you cannot get here!!! Fellow sufferer, but not as bad as you. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 18:57

Not so much "Highway Maintenance"  more like "Highway Robbery".

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 18:56

He arrived at 6 pm so it's almost an hour now.  What a waste of time and money.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 18:30

Well they were here last week, and as we are right in the "firing line" I can tell you it's very unpleasant.  Last week it was during the day, this week night time working.  I'm suffering from sleep deprivation  and might take the matter to Amnesty International as that is a form of torture. 

As for the disruption to parking, that is also horrible.  We don't have a driveway and are having to park a relatively long way off.  Can't they work day and night shifts and get the job done in half the time?

For the last 30 minutes a Highway Maintenance van has been outside our house with the diesel engine idling (as well as the driver) which is not good for the environment or our frayed nerves.  I hope that whoever is in the van isn't being paid to sit there and do absolutely nothing.

Mandy cooper
👍 1

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 11:57

There’s no signs to ignore only the road will be closed between 8pm and 6am and being as was meant to start last week and didn’t that’s why. And the last tine they put road closed signs up between charlbury and finstock the road wasn’t closed until the bird in hand. 

Jean Adams
👍

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 11:52

I have written again to Highways.

Jean Adams
👍 1

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 21:16

And still they came tonight. Ocado, Sainsbury’s, private cars. all turning around in my driveway. I asked the man on duty, “why cannot you put the ROAD CLOSED sign in the road at the Finstock turning to stop the traffic No , you are not allowed to do that and drivers are ignoring the signs.

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 13:58 (last edited on Wed 22 Jul 2020, 20:55)

I have received a lengthy explanation from Highways which says the diversions are being monitored. At least I think that is what it says:

"Following a review of the site traffic management plans there are advanced warning signs located at strategic points/junctions advising of the road closure at the Five Ways junction and direction to follow the signed diversion route. Unfortunately it would appear that motorists are overlooking these signs and travelling to the closure points leaving no option but to turnaround to seek a different route. As an additional check, once the diversion route is fully reinstalled this evening our site supervision team will conduct an audit of the diversion route and accompanying signage to ensure signs are clearly visible and located in the most suitable location to advise as many passing as possible."

Jean Adams
👍 1

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 20:31

I contacted the HIGHWAYS today as  there were no diversion signs. 2 cars have already had to turn around in my driveway at 8.30pm. If you know anyone in Highways please contact them . I do not wish to spend my evening directing traffic as I did last night.

Alan Cobb
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 12:13

We have a diversion sign on Dyers Hill, though - tells you to turn left at the top, which is very helpful, there being no right turn!

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 11:10

There were no diversion signs on the road from Witney. So motorists we’re having to turn around in my driveway. I have alerted Oxford highways so I hope signs are installed today.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.