Amazon Prime Membership telephone scam

Amanda Epps
👍 6

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 23:26

Janet, I am against Amazon because they do not pay tax in this country despite making huge profits.

During the lockdown, I have done almost all my shopping online too, but I have been able to get everything I wanted elsewhere.

Janet Walker
👍 2

Wed 22 Jul 2020, 17:13

Why is everyone so against Amazon? Are they too successful?

Since the lockdown, I have done all my shopping, apart from the local Co-op, on line. I have purchased pharmaceuticals, kitchenalia, bedding, even make-up from them. It comes promptly at a good price and I just love ‘Track your package’.

All saves me using my car and buying petrol - what’s not to like?

John Kearsey
👍 1

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 14:08

I just had a call pretending to be from Amazon. I pressed two to query it and the guy asked me to access my Amazon account though my laptop. I told him that on second thoughts I wasn't bothered if the year's subscription went in one go, at which point he asked me if my IP address was in California. I told him no and he then tried to make out my account was being accessed from there. I told him I would get back to Amazon at a more convenient time. I'm always suspicious if someone wants me to open my laptop and, "They will tell me what to do!"

Lee Belcher
👍 1

Thu 9 Jul 2020, 09:35 (last edited on Thu 9 Jul 2020, 09:38)

I've had quite a few of these calls over the past few months.  Amazon itself tells me that they would never send out such messages.  In February, I actually had £25+ taken out of an unused credit card twice on the same day purortedly from Amazon Australia.  As I was out of the country at the time but NOT in Australia, I didn't discover it until I got my invoice which should have read NIL.  I got the money back pretty quickly after I phoned the credit card people.

What do you want to do ? New mailCopy
Roy Coates
👍 1

Mon 6 Jul 2020, 21:34

The Consumers Association are currently running a campaign against scams.  You can sign up to Which? scam alerts for a weekly update. You don't need to be a paid-up Which? member to get them.  I thought I was scam savvy but there are always more being identified by Which?

Simon Walker
👍

Mon 6 Jul 2020, 09:36

This morning's call from Am-a-ZON informed me that our bank account will be debited with "seventy nine point nine nine" for our non-existent Am-a-ZON prime account.  The last time we had a similar call, which wasn't that long ago, the amount was only "thirty nine point nine nine".  And I thought that the government claims to have inflation under control ....

stephen cavell
👍 1

Mon 6 Jul 2020, 07:14

If they offer me the best deal then I will use them.

Robin Taylor
👍

Sun 5 Jul 2020, 19:29 (last edited on Sun 5 Jul 2020, 19:31)

'I steer well clear of Amazon even when it's not scamming'

It’s not Amazon that’s doing the scamming! Scammers choose a well known company, and latch on to it. We got the phone call about Amazon Prime even though we have never used it!

Michael Flanagan
👍 2

Sun 5 Jul 2020, 15:39

Liz: I've no love for Amazon, but where on earth do you get this nonsense about its being a monopoly?

I know that's the fashionable theory every lazy journalist churns out daily. But the truth is that Amazon keeps most of its sales secret and even more of its data…

Long post - click to read full text

Liz Reason
👍 3

Sun 5 Jul 2020, 11:17

I steer well clear of Amazon even when it's not scamming.  It is a voracious company that is becoming too close to a monopoly for comfort.

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 3 Jul 2020, 22:41

Indeed. I'm guessing the scammers choose to hit you first thing in the morning in hope that you are half awake

Robin Taylor
👍 1

Fri 3 Jul 2020, 16:27 (last edited on Fri 3 Jul 2020, 16:31)

Well it had scam written all over it, we’ve had several of them over the past year, as well as the recording where £600 has been taken out of your Visa/Mastercard account (they never seem to know which). Since when has Amazon ever communicated by recorded message to a landline?

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 3 Jul 2020, 14:20

I have confirmed with Amazon Customer Service that is is not them

Janet Walker
👍 1

Fri 3 Jul 2020, 12:19

I too have received many similar calls, purporting to be from Amazon..Yesterday alone  I had three such calls, always somehow at inconvenient times!

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 3 Jul 2020, 11:44

Just letting you know I got a call at 9 am (approx) from a robot pretending to be from Amazon saying that they would be automatically renewing my Amazon Prime membership for £70 a year and that if I had a problem to press a number to speak to a manager. I smelt a rat and hung up. You should do the same. The robot spoke even though I didn't say anything and the caller ID was not retraceable even though it presented itself at the time of the call! A spoof caller ID. This of course was on my barely used land line. My mother apparently got the same call earlier this week. Don't be fooled by these people! 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.