Repotting Orchids

Jody O'Reilly
👍 1

Mon 22 Jun 2020, 22:21

Indeed, the aerial roots are a key characteristic of many orchids and important for them to get nutrients. I always think mine look like they’re trying to climb out of their glass jars for a walk!

Christine Elliott
👍

Sun 21 Jun 2020, 13:38 (last edited on Sun 21 Jun 2020, 13:39)

Orchids are usually sold in transparent pots so that the aerial roots can get light and air. Recommend reading this link which explains well how aerial roots function.

Jean Adams
👍 1

Fri 19 Jun 2020, 17:23

Thank you, that is exactly the help I needed. I have 3 plants but the largest which is not quite finished, has 13 roots all on the outside of the pot , so it is very ugly. I will choose the best and bury them in the new pot and lose the rest. I have the compost already
Thank you for your response.

Liz Puttick
👍

Fri 19 Jun 2020, 15:54

Keep healthy roots - green or grey - but cut off if either dry or soggy. Try to bury them, but I think if they're sticking up too high and annoying you it's OK to lose a few! Then fresh` compost and a slightly bigger pot. 

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 19 Jun 2020, 11:53

If you have knowledge/experience would you please advise me. My large orchid has 13 aerial roots, shall I cut most off when repotting?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.