Fire just off the Slade

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Mon 15 Jun 2020, 11:54

A few people have asked me today if Steve Jones quoted in the Oxford Mail is me, and was I affected by the fire. Just for clarity, no and no, but thanks for asking! 

Leah Fowler
👍

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 16:09

Sorry Mandy, I know that as always you were being helpful, all that was in the Oxford Mail was written with information from here.

Thankyou John , it was worrying to hear your report,  especially when you ran out of beer

Steve Jones
👍 1

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 16:06 (last edited on Sun 14 Jun 2020, 16:16)

The Oxford Mail just appears to have quoted me from this thread.

In any event. it was quite the firework display for about 20 minutes. I'm glad to hear nobody got hurt and I assume the damage to property isn't too severe (although I see a smoked-blackened gable end on a garage).

I hope the utilities are all back on to those affected.

Mandy cooper
👍 1

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 15:47

Thought that was what the Oxford Mail was to update on things that had happened. Sorry was only trying to help. 

John Partington
👍 2

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 14:25 (last edited on Sun 14 Jun 2020, 17:23)

We're all safe & well, and were allowed back home at about 11.00 pm last night.  It could have been a great deal worse.  As it was it provided a very welcome excuse to mix with neighbours more than we've been able to for months.

Thank you to those sensitive souls who mistook my desperation last night when the beer finally ran out for something more serious .. but no, in the grand scheme of things this was a very minor episode.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 14:21

Mandy, I said update! 

Mandy cooper
👍 1

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 14:18

HOUSEHOLDERS were startled by ‘loud bangs and explosions’ and told to leave their homes when a fire broke out in a home on a quiet residential street.

Firefighters were called to Ticknell Piece Road in Chalbury, at about 8pm, on Saturday evening.

A nearby resident, Steve Jones, said the blaze had damaged the electricity supply and ignited a nearby tree. The incident affected power supplies to nearby homes.

He said: “There were a lot of loud bangs and cracking with sparks flying and bits of tree burning. 
this is in the Oxford Mail 

Leah Fowler
👍

Sun 14 Jun 2020, 13:36

Any more news about this? 

John Partington
👍 4

Sat 13 Jun 2020, 22:50

They've turned the power off so as to cut the gas pipe safely. It will be back on soon.

We're still on the street and the beer has run out. Things are getting desperate. 

Steve Jones
👍

Sat 13 Jun 2020, 22:17

The power has now been cut off for some of the properties in Ticknell Piece in order to allow the emergency workers to deal with things safely. However, it's quite localised, but unfortunately my house is one of those affected.

My suspicion is that there has been some localised damage to the electrical system which will have to be made safe.

John Partington
👍 5

Sat 13 Jun 2020, 21:18

It's technically known as Tory Hill, but we're rather embarrassed by that, and prefer not to tell people.

We're still evacuated from our houses up here, but I had the forethought to bring a crate of beer out with me and we're all quite cheerful.

Steve Jones
👍 1

Sat 13 Jun 2020, 20:27 (last edited on Sat 13 Jun 2020, 20:29)

For those heard loud bangs and wondered what people were doing letting off fireworks at about 20:00 near Ticknell Piece, it was caused by a fire in one one the houses off the small private road Off the Slade paralleling Ticknell Lane (it probably has a name, but it's not on the map).

It is under control, but three fire engines attended. There were lots of loud bangs and cracking with sparks flying and bits of tree burning. The fire-fighters inform me that it's a fire involving the mains gas, but it seems to have affected the mains electricity too. My house and at least one other had trips on residual current devices. I have individual residual current devices on each circuit, and only one circuit (the main downstairs one) tripped on each occasion.

The fire was on the outside of the property against a garage wall which is fairly well scorched, but nobody seems to be in any danger nor did any building catch fire.

Whether this has caused damage to the power or gas distribution in the local area is unclear.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.