Antibody Tests

Hans Eriksson
👍 2

Thu 11 Jun 2020, 18:51

Or you can listen to more or less https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000jw02 to decide if it's worth the bother. Spoiler the 100% accuracy claim was based on 8 (yes eight) people.

Nikki Rycroft
👍 1

Thu 11 Jun 2020, 17:17

As posted on the News section from Charlbury Medical Centre last week, you cannot currently ask for an antibody test by your GP to see whether you have had  Covid19. These tests are being reserved for NHS and Care staff . The following is from the government website:

Types of antibody tests

The government will be providing laboratory-based tests in the first phase of our antibody testing programme, to NHS and care staff. Clinicians will also be able to request the tests for patients in both hospital and social care settings if they think it’s appropriate. These tests require blood samples to be taken by trained professionals which means they are not suitable to be used at home.

The government is also working in partnership with the private sector to develop a ‘finger-prick’ type test, similar to a diabetes test, which will be suitable for use at home and without medical supervision but has not yet been validated for use. We will provide more detail on the development of this test.

The government continues to look at all options for testing for antibodies and to scan the market for new tests.

So hopefully this makes it clear......

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Thu 11 Jun 2020, 13:17

Deborah,

There's so much muddle and confusion.  I'm sure Katie is right.

Like you I should like to know if I've had it, although from what I read that might not confer immunity from future infections.

Now looking for my "old" blood donor card to find out my blood group!  I think it's A something.

I had a blood test at the Surgery last month (as advised by the GP) so I suppose they would know but wonder how I find out?  I don't suppose it's information they give out over the telephone.

Deborah Longshaw
👍 1

Thu 11 Jun 2020, 12:16

Thanks Katie,

Strange, since reports I read implied that others were sourcing theirs from GP Practices. 
Looks like I will have to wait, since hopefully - like the testing they will eventually roll it out countrywide. 

Katie Ewer
👍

Thu 11 Jun 2020, 10:35

As far as I know, antibody testing on the NHS is only available to NHS staff and carers. They are available privately if you can for a blood sample to be collected. The finger-prick ones that you do yourself at home are in very short supply and some are not very reliable.

Deborah Longshaw
👍 1

Thu 11 Jun 2020, 10:22

Just interested to know if anyone on here has managed to get an antibody test?

Since I had seen posts pop up on other sites from people (in other areas of the country admittedly), & since I had been laid low at the beginning of March with a weird cold (although no cough & no fever) which then took my sense of smell & taste, I suspected COVID-19. However, a test determined possibly not, that said by the time I received my test most of my symptoms had gone - apart from the loss of my two senses. So I am desperate to try an Antibody test to determine whether the virus was the culprit. 

Having read these posts, people were stating that they were able to have them at their local GP surgeries - a call to Charlbury Medical Practice, quickly determined that wasn’t the case nor did they know of anywhere else in the county set up to do so! A call to 119 also clarified that, at present Antibody tests would only be available via a call to them & for ‘Frontline’ workers only.

So just interested to know if & how others have managed to procure one? 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.