Black Redstart

Susie Burnett
👍 1

Tue 9 Jun 2020, 15:38 (last edited on Tue 9 Jun 2020, 15:40)

Sadly, we found a dead bird in our garden last week and we couldn't identify what it was, but on googling the colours, etc., the only bird that bore any resemblance was a Black Redstart! RSPB says can be seen up to May and that they can turn up anywhere. It didn't look like a fledgling.

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 9 Jun 2020, 13:38 (last edited on Tue 9 Jun 2020, 13:39)

There is now a June update about the flight paths of the Isle of Wight sea eagles which were discussed on this website back on May 1st. The update is here: http://www.roydennis.org/category/latest-news/

As far as I can gather from looking at the maps and reports of the satellite tracking data, it seems unlikely that it was one of the IOW sea eagles flying over Charlbury on that day. However, it is also pointed out that there have been other sea eagles flying in from mainland Europe as well. So that's also a possibility ...

Miles Walkden
👍

Tue 9 Jun 2020, 13:15

It’s seems unlikely to be honest - wrong location, wrong time of year, but who knows?

This is the time of year I ‘discover’ loads of new birds - they all turn out to be fledglings of common birds sadly. 

Miriam Evans
👍

Tue 9 Jun 2020, 11:12

My husband thinks he may have seen a male Black Redstart on the feeder in our Charlbury garden.  We do not have a great deal of knowledge on birds but try to identify those we do not know using the RSPB book - British Birds. Has anyone seen this bird in and around Charlbury?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.