ITV and C4 TV signals have disappeared

Cotswold Property
👍

Sun 7 Jun 2020, 08:42

Stephen, 

Over the next few years there are a number of changes that will take place at Walcot. Channel clearance for 5g et al ( by the end of June), preparation for DVB-T2 and removal of  the BBC B multiplex to allow for the full implementation of DVB-T2 ( Freeview HD for BBC, ITV and C5.

At that point there will only be two mutiplex channels broadcast from Walcot : BBCA and D3&D4 (The one you are having trouble with. The existing channels on BBCB will move to either of the remaining mutiplexes.

The third factor is interference from the Oxford transmitter. In short Walcot has already been reduced in output, to minimise interference. Whilst no further reductions are planned, it is certain that there will be no increase in power output.

Presumably where you are satellite reception is impacted by the trees around Lee Place?

From my perspective radio reception is a similar problem, with the solution being a new high grade FM aerial or the internet option.

You just have to persevere, until you find a system that works! 

Geoff Belcher
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 23:18

normal dish req and LNB has 4 outputs built in just cabling req

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 15:41

Hi Stephen, I'm sure we're not alone. But I don't get my reception through Walcot, and often the times when you complain about the reception is precisely when it's better for me. 

I can get everything through via my BT wifi with Freeview and an aerial. It's just that my Panasonic TV disabled the ITV and Channel 4 apps a few years ago. This means that when the reception for those channels is down I have to look to other solutions. At the moment I watch ITV and Channel 4 either via mirroring to the TV from my Samsung phone, or directly on my laptop.

I won't use Sky on principle. I will invest in a new TV at some point, but will look for one that allows Brit-box. At the moment it looks as if Samsung is the most reliable for that, but I like Panasonic (and also have a Panasonic Blu-ray recorder) so have put off making the decision.

I invested in an amazon fire-stick to get Curzon home cinema, but the buffering is just awful, so I watch their films on my laptop (which I have found that I prefer for films with subtitles -- most of the Curzon freebies!)

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 13:42

Well, I freely confess I'm not an expert in any of this.

We tried Sky (sorry!) Freeview, and Humax thingy.  Got so fiddly and unreliable I just opted for the all inclusive BT package about two years ago.  No problems.  Interesting, though.  I had to connect the BT box to the "old" aerial.  Just as well I hadn't had it taken down!

Gordon Clemson
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 13:37

Why not use a Sky Q box ? one dish, no extra cabling and works in the house through wifi.

I have 3 TV's in separate rooms, all connected and all can show different channels and record others at the same time, to be shown on any of the TV's.

Worth a look into 

John Dora
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 13:07

All our Freeview channels disappeared this morning and are now back. Our aerial is directed at Walcot from Wychwood Paddocks.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 12:33

Hi Christine, Thanks for letting me know about your reception problems, I wonder if we are alone? 

I started this thread having purchased a new LG small 'smart' TV on Tuesday as I thought it might give a more reliable viewing experience, by not having to rely on the Walcot transmitter. Unfortunately, even the preloaded and recommended apps (with casting on an iphone) either did not allow or work for live Channel 4 and after losing a day of my life, it is going back to the store. Be aware, even new services like Freeview Play need a terrestrial signal for live TV. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 11:31

You can also cast ITV & Channel 4  from your phone on to the TV if you gave a suitable android or iphone. Sorry if you know this already ... &, yes, it's fiddly & far from ideal.

I'm at the top of town & regularly lose some or all of the channels & need to watch BBC on iplayer. Oddly, this week it has been better than usual & I've been able to receive HD channels for the first time in ages. 

What I have been less successful with is getting channels on an amazon firestick. I just get too much buffering for it to be worthwhile watching. Any advice on this gratefully received. My TV does not have apps for ITV or Chanel 4.

As I will probably want to subscribe to Britbox I've decided not to go the freesat route. I will need to replace my TV fairly soon & will investigate options again then.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 11:11 (last edited on Sat 6 Jun 2020, 11:27)

Thanks Geoff. I have just looked into this. It will apparently would need a larger dish than normal with multiple LNB (Low-Noise Block downconverter!) outputs as you can’t just simply split a satellite signal. Then, internal house cabling is required to each TV. All this effort and cost rather than a good old fashioned reliable terrestrial signal.

Geoff Belcher
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 10:26

Satellite dish will work 2 -4 teles just needs separate cables to each one from LNB

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 6 Jun 2020, 09:14

Hi Rhona, A satellite dish only works with one telly. It is obviously not a third world problem, but what if you want to watch a different program on a second set (not a laptop)  somewhere else in the house?

Charlie M
👍 1

Fri 5 Jun 2020, 20:25

Agreed Rhona. Freesat is perfect except when the dish is covered in snow, or occasionally when there's very heavy rain. Freeview, by comparison, was next to useless.

Rhona Walker
👍 1

Fri 5 Jun 2020, 20:02

Why don't people get a satellite dish?  There was one already on our house in Hixet Wood when we moved to Charlbury in 2007.  We use it for Freesat and in 13 years we have never had problems with getting any of the TV channels like BBC, ITV, Channel 5 etc plus other freeview channels.  The reception is always good and clear (except on the odd occasion when the dish gets blocked by snow!)

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2020, 06:38

Lower Watts House is at the bottom of Grammar School Hill, in Park St. Do any of my neighbours that use  this signal (rather than free view or satellite) have this issue?  Contact me directly, if you would prefer.

Cotswold Property
👍

Fri 5 Jun 2020, 00:16

Walcott is currently broadcasting ( as at 11.45Pm) on Channels 39,42 and 45 - reception is good. Try retuning, they seem to have been working on the removal of Channel 49 ( scheduled to go by the end of June).  Suffice to say in the longer term the plan for Walcott is to stay as is or reduce output power - so it is not going to get any better!

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 4 Jun 2020, 21:59

Guess what? Having swapped out the C49 equipment, neither C42 nor C45 has a credible signal, so I cannot get ITV, Channel 4 etc.

Anyone else lost channels served by the Walcot repeater? I will ring Freeview and report it, but we will need reports from more than just me to get any action. I shall start a new thread on the forum showing the correct Channels that are now missing!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.