Large thick black spiders

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Thu 4 Jun 2020, 08:51

Jean the daddy long legs type spiders are probably cellar spiders (Pholcus phalangioides). We have plenty in our house as well.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Wed 3 Jun 2020, 10:51

The "daddy long legs" are probably harvestmen, not actually spiders but very closely related arachnids. Totally harmless and do good rather than harm.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/other-garden-wildlife/insects-and-other-invertebrates/worms-slugs-spiders/harvestman/

Amanda Epps
👍

Wed 3 Jun 2020, 10:32

Jean, I think the creatures that look like daddy long legs are also a variety of spider.  Keep us posted on whether the spray works.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Tue 2 Jun 2020, 14:41

Spiders are harmless and shouldn’t be killed, just put them outside. Any chemical product that says ‘harmless’ probably isn’t, and it definitely isn’t helping the planet. 😞

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 2 Jun 2020, 11:39 (last edited on Tue 2 Jun 2020, 11:40)

I have bought some from Purple Turtle on line. They are all deterrents and harmless!!!

We shall see. Thank you again

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 2 Jun 2020, 10:34

Thank you for your reply. I will obtain some. These spiders are not pleasant but we also have thin Daddy long legs everywhere.

Lucy Mitchell
👍

Tue 2 Jun 2020, 10:24

Hi Jean, I haven’t used it myself but have heard that the spider deterring spray you can buy from Lakeland (or Amazon!) is good. I’m going to be equipping myself with some soon! It doesn’t kill the spiders (I believe) but they don’t seem to like it and will move off! 

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 2 Jun 2020, 09:04

Living in the area between bath and the enclosure panel. And, coming out. Is there something that deters/kills them? I will be very grateful for advice.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.