Bicycle repairs in Charlbury?

Liz Reason
👍 1

Sat 23 May 2020, 18:32

Windrush Bike Project, Cyclox and other organisations in Oxfordshire have been taking unwanted bikes and refurbishing them for carers.  50 already gifted, 14 volunteer repairers, and every bike checked by a professional engineer before being approved for use.  http://windrushbikeproject.uk/

Clive Gibson-Leitch
👍 1

Sat 23 May 2020, 18:03

Thanks, Hannen - I've just checked out the press briefing, very interesting!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 23 May 2020, 17:39 (last edited on Sat 23 May 2020, 18:23)

I heard Mr Shapps saying in the Press Briefing today that the Government is going to give everyone with a bike that needs repairing a £50 voucher.

If it's not too late might be worth applying for Clive!

stephen cavell
👍 1

Sun 17 May 2020, 07:15

Totally irrelevant to bicycles but - loosely and light heartedly - relevant to bring & take. Be careful if you take stuff down in a wheelbarrow and pop in leaving your barrow outside........... some one did once never saw the wheelbarrow again! Not every one waits to be re-assured that it is there too take as did the kid with the bike.

Clive Gibson-Leitch
👍 2

Sat 16 May 2020, 19:00

Hannen - no problem, I didn't see anything wrong with your first post!  I had another bike, which had again just been sitting around for ages doing nothing, and I gave it to the last 'bring and take' (or whatever) at the Memorial Hall.  I looked at the other stuff there, and as I was leaving I saw a young kid looking at the bike and being reassured that he could, yes he could, just take it away.  He looked overjoyed.

My cycling days are over too, I think, so getting rid of the remaining bike will simply make a little more space in the garage for all the rest of my junk!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 16 May 2020, 18:43

Clive,

Apologies.  I did not intend to criticise or suggest.  Although looking at my post now I can see how it might have been interpreted that way.

Our bikes were pretty useless - perished tyres and rusty chains.  So when the chance of donating them to a good cause came along we seized it.  Preferable to landfill.

We've both been cyclists for most of our lives and we are all in favour of that mode of transport.

We might buy newer or even new ones.  I don't know.  I think I might need a power assisted one now!  The Charlbury undulations seem to have become hills!  Our bikes only had Sturmey Archer gears!

Go for it Clive, and good luck to you!

Clive Gibson-Leitch
👍 1

Sat 16 May 2020, 18:24

Philip - thank you for that helpful suggestion!

John - thank you for the very kind offer.  I still think that all it needs is a simple refurbishment, but if no-one gets in touch to say they can do that in Charlbury, then I may well get back to you.

Hannen - I prefer using my legs as well, but I thought that if I got the bike in working order I could raise some money for CRAG, since everyone seems to want a bike nowadays!

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Sat 16 May 2020, 17:45

TY Cycles Chipping Norton 01608-238150 hire, sell, service and repair bikes and probably offer a collect and return too. Worth a phone call?

John Partington
👍 4

Sat 16 May 2020, 07:14

I've got a bike-carrier on my car and am very happy to take anyone's bike to the repair shop in Long Hanborough or Chippy or wherever .. just let me know! 07555 608780

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 19:21

We gave our under used bikes to the poor people in Africa via the Church scheme.

Shanks's pony now.  Not a hardship.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Fri 15 May 2020, 18:38

I have a similar bike. I do drive, but the bike won't fit in my tiny car. Look forward to seeing replies on this!

Clive Gibson-Leitch
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 13:09

I have a bike which has been sitting unused in the garage for over ten years.  I don't think there's much wrong with it, but it needs an overhaul, and since I don't drive I can't easily get to the repair shop in Long Hanborough.

Can anyone repair bikes in Charlbury?  I'm happy to pay, of course.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.