Railcards

Carl A Perkins
👍 3

Fri 15 May 2020, 20:12 (last edited on Fri 15 May 2020, 20:22)

Add another to the list...

visiting the Royal Albert Hall!

I’m usually excitingly waiting for the BBC Proms itinerary to be published right now. Instead I’m sat here with a drink listening to Vaughan Williams reflecting on the past two months and all those people who have suffered and those that still are.

I think in the grand scheme of things a £10 railcard and a fitted suit are of little significance in these times

Steve Jones
👍 1

Fri 15 May 2020, 19:56

There was a time when having a suit fitted was the norm. These days, it's only for the wealthy.

In any event, if you take a look at the various types of services advertised on the Charlbury website under such headings as health and lifestyle there are dozens of business which will have been affected.

I haven't even mentioned big ticket items. Car sales have collapsed for example.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 19:44

Ok Steve.

Fair enough, although "having a suit fitted" is beyond me.

Best wishes,  Hannen.

Steve Jones
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 19:40 (last edited on Fri 15 May 2020, 19:40)

Hannen,
  ok. Here's twenty for you :-

1 personal yoga lessons
2 attending a gym session
3 visiting a hotel
4 visiting a nail bar
5 visiting a tattooist
6 staying at an Air BnB
7 Going to a wedding reception
8 visiting a football match
9 going to the cinema
10 attending an arts class
11 having your teeth capped
12 going to a cricket match
13 visiting a kitchen designer
14 having a suit fitted
15 going to a shoe shop
16 visiting a wildlife park
17 going to a funfair
18 visiting the seaside for a day out
19 attend evening classes
20 take a Eurostar trip to Paris for a day out.

There are vast numbers of things that generate economic activity that are now, effectively. The list goes on and on. The above was straight off the top of my head (although some directly affect family members of mine who work in related industries and/or are self employed).

I find it somewhat surprising that somebody can deny the impact of all this. The evidence appearing is that the economic shock of the lock-down is several times worse than the financial crisis of 2008.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 19:17

"and a thousand other things."

Can you list just ten?

Thank you.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 18:10

Railcards are in theory meant to increase off-peak travel and therefore be of net benefit to the train companies. When all of this is over they’re going to need something to fill those big nine-carriage trains, so here’s hoping they see sense.

Steve Jones
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 16:44

Carl,
 the government hasn't found a treasure trove. This is all currently funded by borrowing, and it could be as much as £300bn this year. Who is buying up all the bonds issued by the government? The answer to that is that the great majority is being bought by the Bank of England (it was called "quantitative easing" or QE during the financial crisis).

The real task is going to be to get economic activity restarted. Confidence has been knocked for six, and discretionary expenditure is going to take a long time to recover.

In this context, I can't get excited by losing a few pounds on my rail-card. It's the big picture that matters, and that's the tough task.

nb. fixing potholes is a productive way of keeping people employed at the moment. Keeping economic activity going is essential. One of the big problems at the moment is that a lot of it is impossible. People can't go to pubs, restaurants, the theatre, and a thousand other things. Some money in public works which keep people employed and companies afloat is exactly the right thing to do.

Carl A Perkins
👍 1

Fri 15 May 2020, 16:09

"and given the way that the COVID-19 position will have dealt a devastating blow to both government and railway finances"

Steve! They committed 1.6 billion quid to fixing pot holes yesterday! Hardly a necessary extravagance in these current times. The government has found a treasure trove somewhere that none of us know about...

Steve Jones
👍 4

Fri 15 May 2020, 15:45

I have a railcard too, which I can't use. I very much doubt that there will be any refunds, and given the way that the COVID-19 position will have dealt a devastating blow to both government and railway finances, I can't see that refunds will be forthcoming. The collapse in ticket revenue will be astonishing.

I suspect the best that might happen is that a few months might be added to the expiry data.

Personally, I'm not going to pursue the issue as these are exceptional times, and there are others I know who are suffering far bigger financial losses than this.

The train operating companies are all going to be in a dire state at the moment.

Carl A Perkins
👍 1

Fri 15 May 2020, 15:34

Rail firms have always been bad at refunds. I've had many bouts with them over the years and you just have to be persistent.

I remember several years ago, during a long period of First "worst" Great Western as it was then, delays. I was spending most mornings stranded at Kingham station (before I moved to Charlbury) freezing cold and annoyed. I was fortunate enough to acquire the direct email for the top man himself.

I do get annoyed at how our rail network operates as a whole. It's all privatised yet the government throws so much money at it, which generally goes to shareholders and foreign owners. 

One thing I could never understand  is this:

Network Rail overran on engineering works

First Great Western got huge compensation for delayed/ cancelled services

Punters got nothing

Sigh... I'm actually starting to miss the London commute...

Gareth Epps
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 14:52

Sadly I suspect that as “Great” Weatern were among the worst companies when it came to refunding advance tickets after lockdown, we won’t get any joy from them.  But as Richard says, most Railcards are a matter for the Rail Delivery Group.

Carl A Perkins
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 13:03

In that case, you are lucky as I thought they could only be used on off peak services. The last time I held a railcard was when I was a student and only used it for trips home to my parents a few times a year.

It's worth noting that GWR have (surprisingly) been running an almost normal service throughout the whole lockdown (all subsidised by the government even though it's a private company) so they will more than likely argue that you could have still used your railcard, even though you've rightly been staying at home.

Blenheim Palace on the other hand have stated on their website that they have extended season ticket validity for an additional 3 months as they have been closed

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 15 May 2020, 12:21

There was a question in the Guardian recently and the Rail Delivery Group’s answer was typically unhelpful, I’m afraid.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/apr/21/refund-extension-railcard-lockdown-coronavirus

Emily Algar
👍 1

Fri 15 May 2020, 12:03

I used my Cotswold Line card every day for commuting, so I don't think I'd call them 'once in while' pleasure trips. I also don't ever remembering seeing that in the t&c. 

It would be good to know if anyone has contacted GWR or National Rail re this and if they had a response.

Carl A Perkins
👍

Thu 14 May 2020, 13:30

The value of a network railcard is redeemed after just a few trips so probably not. 

Season tickets are different as they are intended to be used on a highly regular basis with a lump sum paid upfront whereas network discount cards (£30 per year) are generally for 'once in while' pleasure trips. 

Emily Algar
👍

Thu 14 May 2020, 12:36

I have a Network Railcard and a Cotswold Line card, and I can image a lot of Charlbury residents have all sorts of railcards that were bought before the lockdown started.

As we have not been legally permitted to leave our homes, except for essentials, and have been discouraged from using public transport, we have not been able to use our railcards, I am wondering whether any knows if GWR/National Rail are considering either refunding those of us who have purchased railcards for the months lost or extending end dates already purchased railcards.

Has anyone investigated this and if so, do you know the answer? My gut says neither, which means another email to Mr Courts.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.