Charlbury wildlife

Gareth Davies
👍

Thu 14 May 2020, 13:39

Thats a beastie! Steve, unfortunate to get stung by one not all can sting. They are a gardeners friend when pesticides aren't around, they generally hunt caterpillars, aphids and even spiders. The wasp family is one of the largest supergroup of insects, you might be surprised what a wasp can do, check out plant galls on naturespot website.

Chris Sharpe
👍 1

Thu 14 May 2020, 11:51

This app is great for identifying birds. You can record a distinctive bird song while on a walk and it will tell you what species it is.

https://birdnet.cornell.edu/

I use the Android app (search for 'BirdNET' on the play store) but I think there is an equivalent for iPhone.

Steve Evatt
👍

Thu 14 May 2020, 11:00

Short-tailed ichneumon wasps, which I think is commonly know as a hunter wasp.stung my thumb last year down on the Mill Field (stings a bit) Netelia melanura imagehttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTREQj5xbOV5s4q37IPt7Nc8jBRGk8Fic_34PLRAaJQCPp8gb9T&usqp=CAU" data-lt="">
Gareth Davies
👍 1

Wed 13 May 2020, 17:53

Hi Steve,

I have come across the app I believe it's particularly good! I know there are a lot of apps out there covering all sorts of species. As much as I love technology it doesn't much like me but it's nice to know others appreciate the wildlife.

Have you come across any curios of interest? Always interested in learning more  about of Charlbury wildlife.

Gary.

Steve Evatt
👍 1

Wed 13 May 2020, 16:32

Hi Gareth,

I use an app called INaturalist it's really good for finding out the names of all types of insects and flowers.

Steve.

Gareth Davies
👍 2

Tue 12 May 2020, 12:39

Over the last several years i have enjoyed photographing and learning about the amazing wildlife Charlbury has to offer, what started a hobby and interrst has become more of a passion. I have been blessed with some amazing friends who have given me help, support and encouragement and I have found it a good way to escape troubled times mentally. I have restricted myself demographically by choice and have enjoyed recording over 2000 species ish since. By my estimation this represents a mere 1/4 to 1/5 of the potential species Charlbury is fortunate to have. Being in the exclusive sliver of the Oxfordshire Cotswolds affords us the beauty of both side of the borders.

This is for anyone who has small children who want redirect energy, older children for learning and educational tasks, physical/ mental health problems passing interest or just basically bored. All you need is a means to capture a picture and internet access to identify wildlife. The vast majority of  British wildlife can be readily identified with patience, practise and a good eye with something for everyone, any age and skill ability and offers a great way to learn new skills as well. My initial advice to anyone interested is to look at it all as a spot the difference game and snap rolled into one, it can be extreme but it depends on how much of a challenge you like.

Uksafari

Gardensafari

Naturespot

Eakringbirds

Britishbugs.

These are the best to go websites i have so far found and cater for most interests, I will put a couple of new topics to help get people started for anyone interested.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.