Walking along Conservation Field margins

Gareth Davies
👍 1

Thu 14 May 2020, 20:43

Sorry I am not an educated man, I can't give detailed information l like facts and figures. I don't own anything much less agricultural land and yes I am  just  a member of public, but I do keep my eyes and ears open and I do like information on a…

Long post - click to read full text

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Thu 14 May 2020, 19:49

It is better to deviate into the edge of a field in cultivation than deviate from the official footpath onto a completely different field and disturb the wildlife. I step to one side and turn away - its not difficult.

Brigid Sturdy
👍 3

Thu 14 May 2020, 16:12

I live near Woody Lane, and have found the nearby footpaths crowded, even by solitary cyclists or families with bicycles, during the beautiful weather of the past few weeks.  Deviating on to a field margin is one means of social distancing when one sees people approaching along a narrow path.  Another is deviating on to the field under cultivation, which I have seen many people doing out of sheer politeness, in order not to inconvenience footpath-users.  A third is to flatten oneself into the hedge at the risk of damaging it, or oneself, and frightening nesting birds.  Is there any clear ethical choice in the matter while so many of us are (thankfully) on foot in the countryside at this time?

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Thu 14 May 2020, 10:15

It is also not acceptable when somebody's illegal roaming  becomes another persons loss of privacy.  

I have been walking up Woody Lane and along the official footpaths.  Other people have deviated from the footpath by walking along other edges of the fields - often with dogs. Looking at the routes they have taken, this takes them within sight of the houses and gardens of other properties.   This is not necessary as the right of way is delightful. Keep to the law and the official paths - we have plenty.

Andrew Chapman
👍 9

Thu 14 May 2020, 07:48 (last edited on Thu 14 May 2020, 09:47)

Seconded, Rod. And then there are the footpaths which are ploughed over - it doesn't happen much round here, but there are a few cases (though I was pleased to discover yesterday that one of them has now been restored after a few weeks where the only option was to... walk around the field edge). And then there are the fields this spring where the ploughing has been right to the very edge (much more than usual), hardly preserving a wildlife corridor. And then there are the opportunities to show one's young children interesting flora along field boundaries, without damaging them. And then there are the field edges which the community has used (often to cross from one footpath to another) for many years - which in fairness may be tacitly permitted by the landowners. And then there are the large estates (no names) which put up more and more unwelcoming signs to the point of absurdity. (And then there's the threat of Brexit meaning EU-driven support for these wildlife corridors might be lost.) Yes, definitely Debate territory. I completely agree with Paul that wildlife is of huge importance, and of course that all land and property should be treated with respect – and it has been great this spring (albeit at a high price) that we have seen more of that wildlife. But like everything else, especially when it comes to stewardship of the countryside: it's complicated.

Rod Evans
👍 9

Wed 13 May 2020, 22:00 (last edited on Thu 14 May 2020, 09:03)

I’m now about to incur the Wrath of the Fairhurst and be sentenced to the Debate section – no, Richard, please, no, not again, no, aarrgghh!!

Paul I know nothing about you but I'm guessing you have a professional interest – if dare I say rather more from the landowners’…

Long post - click to read full text

Paul Whitaker
👍 7

Tue 12 May 2020, 09:50

There are many of these margins situated along fields around Charlbury and the rest of England. They are not footpaths, there are no rights of way and the purpose of them is to facilitate wildlife habitat improvement. At this time of year many are used by ground nesting bird. Disturbance by people and dogs trespassing along these strips has some very obvious consequences to the wildlife. What few people realise or even consider is that they as trespassers upon these wildlife havens compromise the landowners incentives to maintain the strips. As such, evidence of their use as footpaths or cycle routes will negate government stewardship grants and force  the landowners to plough up and remove these headlands. We are privileged to have abundant public footpaths and rights of way in our area. Unless you have the expressed permission of the landowners to enter private land you are a trespasser and can be lawfully asked to quit the land or be removed. If you have any regard for our wonderful countryside, respect it, and allow the landowners who maintain it to keep it as wildlife haven. Please keep off these wildlife margins, control your dogs, or they will be lost.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.