Shopping in Witney..

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 2

Wed 6 May 2020, 09:53 (last edited on Wed 6 May 2020, 09:59)

Styan Family Produce https://www.styanfamilyproduce.co.uk have increased the range of what they deliver to Charlbury on Saturdays. Arrangements are posted on the Charlbury website under 'Events'. It's really appropriate to support market gardeners and local producers in this way, not forgetting the wonderful Church Lane Produce whose season is just beginning on our doorstep in Spelsbury.

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Tue 5 May 2020, 10:37 (last edited on Tue 5 May 2020, 11:04)

Obviously people's experiences of online shopping differ! I don't (usually) use the Waitrose app, and book online. You can easily see if you are registered as priority, because as soon as you log in, it tells you if you are. And they have massively increased their slots & the number of pickers, and also reduced the number of lines they carry, in the last few weeks. The website is also very much improved.

And I have never had to book at very odd hours; but I do book about 2 weeks before I need a slot. The quality of the veg & fruit etc. has been good (often rather better than in- store offerings), except for the last batch of organic spinach. 

It's Tesco that has defeated me! They send me emails, but never have any slots. And they don't do click & collect from either Stow or Banbury -- or, at least, they didn't last time I looked. But I am now no longer looking, since Waitrose has improved its ordering system &, like Jon, I am also offered lots of Sainsbury's slots.

Waitrose wrote to me: I didn't contact them.  And for Sainsbury's I phoned a telephone number that I found on their website. I needed my Nectar Card number to register as being over 70. The website to register as vulnerable that Jon gave would not have worked for me.

If anyone desperately needs an odd item or two from Waitrose, I am happy to add a few items to my order, but you will need to think how to pick it up from me (in Ditchley Rd) & also pay for it (cheque or paypal preferred). I can also deliver, if within walking distance, and if there is somewhere suitable to leave the goods at your home. I am social distancing!

You would also need to give very precise instructions about substitutions, as goods can't be returned once they are handled. My next order date is May 11th, & I would need to know by May 9th. Also May 20th, for May 22nd. You can message me via email on this website.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 2

Tue 5 May 2020, 09:20 (last edited on Tue 5 May 2020, 09:23)

If you need supermarket deliveries, you can find out if you qualify as very vulnerable at https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable and register if appropriate.

For me this information eventually filtered through to the supermarket websites, and the delivery choices I was offered then changed. Waitrose now offer me the next three days, but all slots are always already booked whenever I look: Which? readers advise logging in to book from 6am! But Sainsburys offer me a good choice of slots 5-6 days ahead, and I can always get a late afternoon delivery for 50p or £1.

I agree with Liz P that there's nothing special about Waitrose, though, unless you treat them as a deli. And Styan are very good (and quite local) for veg and I'm sure they will have excellent fruit in season. The distancing measures outside the community centre on Saturday afternoons are very good (thanks, Christine and her team!)

A friend who is maximising physical distancing says that the new(ish) M&S Foods in Chippy is uncrowded and she feels comfortable there.

I read that freezing or chilling a virus will extend its life, by the way, so if you are particularly vulnerable you may still want to disinfect bought chilled or frozen food. Any further information on this?

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Tue 5 May 2020, 09:08

Glad you got a slot, Christine. I check regularly but not obsessively and have never found a single one. We are technically eligible for priority tho' not at the highest level but have never been contacted or got thru to a human being. Waitrose's solution, rather than increasing their delivery/collection service, is to provide a shopping app which makes the shop longer and more stressful - clogging up the aisles more and making the outside queues even longer. The only upside is it's forced us to find alternatives, mostly local and some better, but it's hard to give up supermarkets altogether!

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Tue 5 May 2020, 00:16 (last edited on Tue 5 May 2020, 00:25)

Waitrose had a lot of slots available to book for the next two or three weeks on Monday afternoon. If you are not being offered them, it must be because they don't recognise you as a priority customer. I suggest emailing them. For me, they have been excellent. 

It is also possible to self-register as over 70 on the Sainsbury's website. But it took a couple of weeks for that to get sorted out. 

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Mon 4 May 2020, 20:53

Sorry to say we've never managed to get a single slot for delivery or collect, even tho' Waitrose brag about prioritizing the elderly (us!), so we're now looking elsewhere for our groceries. Not a huge hardship as their standards and quality have gone down so badly, especially in their fruit&veg.

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 4 May 2020, 15:53 (last edited on Mon 4 May 2020, 15:56)

I have used the click and collect and it works very well. You go the person on the door, say you have a click and collect to pick up, and they send you over to the desk, then someone goes to find your order. It is quite safe as there is no-one else in that area other than the staff, who are very good at distancing themselves. It also seems to be a lot easier to book than a delivery.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Mon 4 May 2020, 15:14

Does anyone have experience of Waitrose click&collect?  (where is it, for example). Sainsbury's C&C is managed via a drive-thru in the corner of their carpark. It works quite smoothly and safely, but I haven't seen the equivalent for Waitrose.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 4 May 2020, 12:27 (last edited on Mon 4 May 2020, 13:11)

Hook Norton Brewery www.hooky.co.uk online ordering with delivery service or click & collect.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 4 May 2020, 10:31

In case other people have similar needs...

Holland and Barrett deliver orders over £25 for free.

Cook's minimum order for delivery is £40. Delivery charge is £6.95, but free on orders over £85.

As well as their shop in Witney, there are Cook freezers in the Chippy Coop (no delivery) and at Wyatts at Great Rollright (who deliver within ten miles, so that would presumably include Cook items - does anyone have experience of this?). Delivery of food orders over £25 is free, see https://www.wyattsgardencentre.co.uk/order-form

Any more good food delivery tips?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 1

Mon 4 May 2020, 10:03 (last edited on Mon 4 May 2020, 10:32)

Have emailed you Jean. Hope it helps. It's all a bit of a struggle!

Sue Way
👍

Mon 4 May 2020, 09:40

Hello Jean, I’m going there later today - if you call or text me on 07982 778 464 I’ll take your order.

Jean Adams
👍

Mon 4 May 2020, 09:24

If you are shopping in Witney, would you be kind enough to go to Holland and Barrett for some herb teas.? Also, I could order from COOK . 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.