The Old Shop signs (Debate)

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 22:33

When I first moved here 50 years ago, there were 7 shops which sold food, 3 that sold sweets, 2 butchers, 2 banks,  the fish shop which also sold fish and chips, a shoe shop, drapers, an antique shop, a jewellers and later a shop that sold some women’s clothes and John’s valued book shop. As Jean said they have all gone for a variety of reasons.  Progress?

Jean Adams
👍 1

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 14:50

It is only a few years ago that we had, in Charlbury, most of those trades. Hardware, where we now have an Estate Agent. Butcher, now Heat Store. Fish shop. Green grocer, now a beauticians and next door a food shop I seem to remember. A sweet shop.  Newspapers and stationery, now being upgraded to residential. A Bank where the DELI is now. Latterly Larcums sold stationery, sweets and other useful things. SO, why did they all go??? Presumably because residents preferred to ‘get out of town’ and shop in Chipping Norton and Witney.

We have a very well used COOP and thankfully Londis is still here with fruit and vegetables, milk, and dairy products , alcohol and hardware, stationery. and a very efficient newspaper delivery service. The Curry House next door is popular. 

I cannot see anyone changing their habits as we have all got used to going to Witney and Chippy as we can then browse the other excellent shops as well as food shopping. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.