Scrubs for healthcare workers

sue holiday
👍

Wed 20 May 2020, 21:42

Sandy Fairhurst

Many thanks for your kind offer of help, which I now no longer need as I have borrowed my daughter's sewing machine. I am most grateful to you and others who have kindly tried to help me since I was unable to find someone during this lockdown to fix mine. We are lucky to have such kindhearted and generous people around Charlbury who are much appreciated!

Sandy Fairhurst
👍

Tue 19 May 2020, 19:44

If things are cut out and ready to sew, and you don’t think a machine repair is likely, I know I’d be willing to do some sewing of these. Elderly, simple machine but could cope with anything not too complex. Get back in touch via this site, if it would help.

sue holiday
👍

Tue 19 May 2020, 16:58

Many thanks to those who have tried to help me locate the blue fabric. I am afraid my sewing machine has developed a problem and I am unable to use it or have it fixed during this lockdown, so my remaining already cut out, pinned and prepared scrub bags, hairbands and scrubs will have to wait for the time being. At least I completed my main batch of scrubs before disaster struck!

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 18 May 2020, 11:53

Thank you Christine B and Jon C. Great teamwork. 

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 17 May 2020, 16:59

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/268651897468471/

If you have to sign into Facebook, it's very easy, and you can give minimum personal info.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 17 May 2020, 15:48

Sue, Jacqueline Gooch posted a message on Oxfordshire Crafters for Scrubs on 15 May. I'm not in the Facebook group, so can't copy the link. If you can't find it, contact one of the admin people for the group.

Jacqueline also says that she is on Berkshire for the Love of Scrubs. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sun 17 May 2020, 14:20

Sue. I can’t copy and paste into here, but she is on that site.... you might have to click on the Discussion tab..... hope you can find it.

sue holiday
👍

Sat 16 May 2020, 22:32

Rosemary Bennett

Many thanks for this. I have been unable to find the link, though!

I have finished several dark green scrubs for Mildmay Hospital, but would like to make some blue scrubs for Oxford if I can find the correct fabric.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 16 May 2020, 10:38

Sue Holiday

See: Oxfordshire Crafters for Scrubs FB page, a lady called Jacqueline Gooch has (d)  some mid blue fabric....check her post there.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 14 May 2020, 14:53 (last edited on Thu 14 May 2020, 22:17)

Deleted the post

Kim Sale
👍

Tue 12 May 2020, 11:27

Would anyone else like to sew scrubs? I've got enough fabric left for about 6 more sets 😁

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 8 May 2020, 18:12

The new site is being developed in collaboration with the main moderator of the facebook group.

Kim Sale
👍

Thu 7 May 2020, 12:29

There is already a Facebook group running to distribute scrubs which has about 60k followers, there's also a subgroup for many areas including Oxford where many pledges are being made. It's all very well organized now.

Sue, I have only seen pledges from junior Dr's at the JR otherwise the main hospitals in this area haven't as yet been asking for scrubs.

sue holiday
👍

Wed 6 May 2020, 22:45

Although some NHS hospitals have relaxed the rules on the colour of scrubs, this is not the case for Oxford. My daughter who nurses there has informed me of this this evening. I am trying to locate fabrics of the correct colours, the information being difficult to find on the JR website to be able to make some. There may be other places such as care homes or doctors' surgeries who might appreciate less formal colour schemes.

Helen Chapman
👍

Wed 6 May 2020, 21:09

I learnt today that some colleagues who have been furloughed are making a website to help co-ordinate the home-made scrubs effort. I'll let you know when it is live.

Heather Donegan
👍 1

Wed 6 May 2020, 15:09 (last edited on Wed 6 May 2020, 17:01)

At 8.06 this morning, under the BBC NHS feed, there was a short piece on multicoloured and patterned scrubs being very popular with staff at Papworth. Some great pictures. This may answer the question about fabric needing to be in specific scrubs colours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cp7r8vglnnwt/nhs

Helen Vickery
👍

Wed 6 May 2020, 13:33

Many thanks Kim, that confirms what I thought  - the original pattern was coming out at only 9cm(6 cm between buttons), which didn’t seem to be of much use to me . If I adapt it to approx 10 cm between buttons then hopefully they will be usable. Will start production!

Kim Sale
👍

Wed 6 May 2020, 12:02

Apparently they are called 'mask adapters' there's a FB group with over 4000 members! Wow! My friend says that hers are coming out at 11cm long. She's using DK cotton and a 3.5mm crochet hook and sewing plastic buttons on. They also need to be repeatedly washed at 60 degrees. The FB group has patterns but I'm sure you'll also find one online.

Kim Sale
👍 1

Wed 6 May 2020, 11:50

Hi Helen, good idea. There is a lady in Kiddington who has made many many of these. I could ask her how long they are. They take the pressure off the ears caused by the elastic. A simple idea but really effective it seems. 

Helen Vickery
👍

Wed 6 May 2020, 05:50

Further to Alison’s post and the need for headbands, would these need to be in ‘scrubs’ colours, or would any cotton material do? I guess the next problem would be sourcing enough elastic... Alternatively I have found a pattern for crocheted ‘mask mates’ which sit at the back of the head to take pressure off the ears - problem is the original pattern seems to come up rather short to me, is there someone local who needs to wear medical masks, who would be prepared to test a few samples for me? I could make these a lot quicker than the material ones if they work.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Tue 5 May 2020, 21:48

Hi Alison. I haven’t seen a pattern anywhere for a zip-fronted scrubs top.

alison.nicholls
👍 1

Tue 5 May 2020, 11:22

I have been using Judy’s lovely large drawer string bags for my scrubs , tunic top and fleeces. I put the full bags in the wash 2 at a time. 

I have also worn the material face masks for my post COVID cough and suspect that they must offer protection and confidence to those around me. I wear disposable masks, gloves and plastic aprons at work.

Personally, I stopped wearing scrubs tops at the start of the outbreak, they need to be pulled off over the face which is not ideal. Scrubs are really designed to protect the patient rather than the health professional. I wear white zip-fronted tunics and scrubs trousers.

Has anyone seen a pattern for a zip fronted scrubs top, it can then be safely taken off like a coat. Any thoughts? Thank you so much for all your work.

Cotton headbands are also much sought after.

Judy Dod
👍

Sun 3 May 2020, 10:15

Hi Kim, if you were able to set up a What’s App Group, that would be wonderful.  I’m not sure if my mobile skills are up to it! I’ll send you my number.  Have just downloaded and assembled my pattern so all set to go now. 

Kim Sale
👍 2

Sun 3 May 2020, 09:29

Wonderful to hear Joanna :-)

Joanna Shakir
👍 5

Sat 2 May 2020, 22:22

Our son in law is an orthopaedic surgeon now working in A+E and critical care, he says that the ‘homemade scrubs’ are much much nicer than the usual regulation ones, more comfortable fit, material and even with pockets! Well done, your work is appreciated.

Miranda Higham
👍 1

Sat 2 May 2020, 19:50

Count me in for making draw string bags. I have suitable materials for making those.

Private Message me to instruct me who to deliver them to.

sue holiday
👍 1

Sat 2 May 2020, 18:01

There is still a need for more scrubs in Oxford as there has been a large increase of returning retired nurses as well as final year student nurses having to go into nursing earlier than expected. Like Judy, I hope to move onto making some of those. They are very quick to make as the trousers are like pyjama bottoms. I have made several small versions of these for my three year old grandson in the last fortnight as he has had a rapid growth spurt at a time when children's clothes shops are closed near his home!

In answer to Rosemary's question, no, I am not in a specific group providing laundry bags. My daughter is a nurse in Oxford, who thought it would be helpful for me to make some, and to encourage others to do some too, if they would like. I could leave them on her doorstep for her to take in. If anyone here would like to add to my pile of them, I could get them to her too. As she is a full-time nurse I would not like to cause her too much extra work, though! She has been told at work to wash her uniform at 95 degrees, (it used to be 65 degrees before COVID 19). However, any bags made with coloured fabrics would have to be washed separately. She pointed out that colourful fabrics do cheer the nurses up considerably, though, but they would have to be washed separately from white uniforms. Her particular uniform consists of blue trousers and a white tunic, so  she has to do two separate washes each day. One bag for each colour!

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 2 May 2020, 13:03

Hello again Judy, you asked about a potential WhatsApp group.... sorry but I don’t do it.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 2 May 2020, 10:37

Hi Judy, thanks for your contribution, it’s really helpful to see what people are doing. 😊

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 1 May 2020, 22:49 (last edited on Fri 1 May 2020, 22:51)

Hi all, thanks Kim for the the fabric, I hope to be able to do it proud.

Sorry, I can't find a way to delete this, sent in error, obviously!

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 1 May 2020, 22:48

Hi all, thanks Kim for the the fabric, I hope to be able to do it proud.

Kim Sale
👍

Fri 1 May 2020, 15:37

Hi Judy, a WhatsApp group is a very good idea, do you want to set it up or if everyone PM's me their mobile number I'm happy to do it. 

Judy Dod
👍

Fri 1 May 2020, 13:25

Hi everyone, I’ve been making laundry bags and they went to the local ambulance station for paramedics to use.  I’ve been testing mine at 60 degrees too.  I decided to move on to scrubs and have just taken delivery of some cotton which I ordered from Dalston Mill Fabrics which was a firm mentioned on the For the Love of Scrubs website.  I couldn’t specify colour but they have sent me a blue/ purple colour with matching thread.  I’m happy making them but am not sure how to get them to the hospitals where they are needed.  It would be great to have a group so that we can be in touch with each other and share contacts etc.  Would a WhatsApp group be popular?  I think there are quite a lot of us sewing away and it would be good to know what everyone is doing.  Also my daughter is a paramedic and is finding that she is getting very sore ears from wearing the masks for a long time.  I’ve just about to make her a headband with buttons which takes the strain off the ears.  Some of those might be useful to nurses etc too.  

Paul Butler McLees
👍

Fri 1 May 2020, 12:36 (last edited on Fri 1 May 2020, 12:38)

Kim, I have sent you a message in the forum mail. Thank you.

Kim Sale
👍

Fri 1 May 2020, 12:08

Hi Rosemary, do get in touch, I am dropping fabric to Margaret today and could drop some off with you too. 

Sue, I'm on 'The love of scrubs' and Oxfordshire Crafters for scrubs and they are all suggesting 60 degree washes. Mildmay whom I have been making for didn't want me to send scrubs washed at all as they have their own in-house laundry. For other requests, we have to wash and package/date the scrubs and then post. 🙂

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Fri 1 May 2020, 11:07

Update. Thanks MARGARET, for the pattern. Step two achieved. I think the best thing for me would be to help Kim with her existing ongoing job in hand, So, KIM, I will email you later today if that's ok?

SUE, thanks for the useful information here. I hadn’t thought about the poly cotton being difficult to dye! I’ve only ever dyed pure cotton. I chose polycotton as I saw somewhere that a 50/50 fabric was preferable. Hey ho! It seems a no-brainer to use my white for laundry bags, and also I can help Kim with her s, soI think I might have solved my problem for the time being. I’ll just ask you if you are in a particular group that are providing the laundry bags?

sue holiday
👍 1

Fri 1 May 2020, 01:47 (last edited on Fri 1 May 2020, 01:51)

I have been making draw-string laundry bags for Oxford doctors and nurses to take their scrubs home in after their day's work. These are to be washed at 95 degrees each day, so I am making them white so there is no colour running, which would spoil white uniforms, if washed with the scrubs inside, to help prevent contamination of NHS workers' homes.  They are pillowcase size, more or less. In fact, if anyone feels like making some too, there are plenty of NHS key workers who could make use of them. If you do not have spare fabric, they could be made from pillowcases, (the quickest option), table cloths, sheets, curtain lining, etc., as long as it is in good condition. For the draw strings, use tape or cord, both of which are more durable than ribbon, which tends to fray, but if that is all you have, use it! You could also make your own tape from lengths of fabric if you do not have anything else available.  As they will be washed frequently the seams need to be oversewn well to prevent fraying. Coloured bags can be made from sheeting - polycottons - for the coloured scrub trousers. I did a colour run test on some maroon coloured polycotton at 95 degrees, and needless to say, the colour stained my test fabric, so I hesitate to use it for this purpose. Once I have used my white fabrics up I will probably use it eventually!

Kim Sale
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 20:37

Rosemary, please feel free to have some of my fabric it's already dyed. I understand that it isn't easy to dye poly cotton although haven't tried just read on the FB groups. If you want the pinky purple stuff for your own cause then please be my guest or if you want to help with the Mildmay stuff I have plenty of new fabric and I bought thread too :-)

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 18:20

Brilliant. If no-one gets back to you I would give you help with your job, otherwise I will continue on my pathway of discovery! I have a promise of a pattern and I've just ordered some fabric after spending all day trying to find suitable stuff. I'm going to have to dye it as well, as all the plain dark colours have sold out. It’s not easy to find anything and even finding thread is becoming much more difficult.

Kim Sale
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 17:46

I've been making scrubs for Mildmay hospital in London (19 pairs of trousers went on Tuesday and another 6 complete sets due to go tomorrow). I do have a spare Sew Different pattern if anyone would like it, I also have 7 donated duvet covers all dark pinks (acceptable in many areas). I also have a large stash of dark green that I'm still ploughing through for Mildway. If anyone would like to help me then do give me a  shout.

Kim 07907887166 kimfaz@btinternet.com

Kim Sale
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 17:46

I've been making scrubs for Mildmay hospital in London (19 pairs of trousers went on Tuesday and another 6 complete sets due to go tomorrow). I do have a spare Sew Different pattern if anyone would like it, I also have 7 donated duvet covers all dark pinks (acceptable in many areas). I also have a large stash of dark green that I'm still ploughing through for Mildway. If anyone would like to help me then do give me a  shout.

Kim 07907887166 kimfaz@btinternet.com

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 12:44

Margaret, I've sent you a message about the pattern. 

Christine, many thanks for all the useful info, I’m getting through it.... Just takes some time to get into it, there’s a lot of stuff out there. You’re a great information provider. 👏

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 12:39 (last edited on Thu 30 Apr 2020, 12:40)

Many of the fabric suppliers are out of poly cotton in the right colours. Some of the HNS departments are requesting specific colours, mostly dark, plain, so some people who are getting other pale fabrics are dying them .... all this kind of info is being spread around via the group mentioned below...

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 12:34

Deborah, there is already an Oxfordshire group. Oxfordshire Crafts for Scrubs. They have organised and are developing their contacts and making it possible to know where your scrubs are needed, and doing a lot of background work to get it all together. I didn’t want to start a group because it’s mainly admin. Nothing wrong with that, it's essential, but I didn’t want to do it.

It's Facebook for your info..... 

Deborah Longshaw
👍 1

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 11:59

I am sure there are plenty around Charlbury with sewing machines & the time, could we not form our own group & then could better coordinate the manufacture & delivery of scrubs & facemasks.

margaret millar
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 11:34

I'm not a facebook user  which is why I was asking if anyone  could tell me where they were to be sent.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 08:51 (last edited on Thu 30 Apr 2020, 09:47)

Margaret, I don't think there's a central place to send things. The Oxford Mail had an article here: https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18390644.hero-janie-makes-scrubs-nhs-kitchen/ This includes various links. 

For the Love of Scrubs has Facebook pages for those requesting scrubs and crafters donating items.

All the different regions can be found at https://scrubhub.org.uk/donate/ You can see a lot of the detail simply by googling, but you'll need to join Facebook to participate.

In the U3A SE Newsletter it said that Chipping Norton U3A has a group of crafters making scrubs, but it is not showing up on their website. Banbury also has a group, but they are focusing on scrub bags; another group focusing of face masks.

Or you could contact local care homes and GPs to see if they need items. 

margaret millar
👍

Thu 30 Apr 2020, 07:59

If anyone knows where you are to send completed items I would be grateful

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2020, 20:47 (last edited on Wed 29 Apr 2020, 20:49)

Have you tried the following? : 

sewmesomething.co.uk/collections/ladieswear/products/free-unisex-scrubs-pattern

There also a youtube video for a different pattern:

How to Sew Nurses Scrubs Top For the Love of Scrubs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SavR-da-E

Facebook also offers a pre-printed paper pattern for a small fee. It's on For the Love of Scrubs page.

margaret millar
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2020, 20:09

I have a copy of a" free to download "pattern for a set of scrubs that people are using. Not a facebook person so would be interested if you have any info. thanks.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 29 Apr 2020, 17:52

I’ve found out that there are people out there organising sewing projects of various items for NHS and related needs.

I’ve never used scrubs, and am wondering if anyone has an actual example for me to see. So far, the patterns I've been able to find online haven’t made a lot of sense to me in the detailing.

I found the details on Facebook pages, so if anyone else is interested I could put them here.

Please text to 07817 578 766 or contact me via the site if you could possibly help me out with some things to look at.  Thanks. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.