Butterflies

Gareth Davies
👍 1

Sun 10 May 2020, 17:35

Yes your right Judy, well spotted the caterpillar only feeds on holly and ivy buds and the butterfly can normally be seen fluttering around the tops of shrubs and trees. A lovely little butterfly, it won't be long before Britain's smallest butterfly will be on the wing. The small blue butterfly although I prefer the Latin Cupido minimus sounds so much nicer i think. If you want a chance to spot it out on walks around field edges look down it very rarely flies above knee height although it's not strictly blue it's just as stunning if you can get a good picture. It's also a rarity!

Judy Kinchella
👍 1

Sun 10 May 2020, 17:15

I was lucky enough to see the holly blue butterfly in our back garden, it is a small light blue butterfly. Apparently it lays its eggs underneath the holly leaves.

Gareth Davies
👍 3

Sun 10 May 2020, 11:55

Has anyone else seen all the amazing butterflies i feel like the only one! Dingy skippers found by the bowls club, green hairstreaks in wigwell, speckled wood in century woods, holly blues in nine acres park. I'm sure I saw the molten flash of a small copper in  the bbont nature reserve as well a male and female common blue although the female might of been a brown Argus i can't remember if the Orange spots go all the way up the wing of not. All that on top of the more common brimstone , admirals, peacocks and tortoise shell and the ringlets, meadow browns ,gatekeepers and marbled whites haven't even emerged! I know all of these are the more common species but does anyone in Charlbury actually know how many species there are or if there are any particularly rare species like the black hairstreak. Is there a lepidopterist in Charlbury very curious to know specific species numbers and spread over Charlbury or any other interesting information.

Gareth Davies
👍 4

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 18:02

I've been enjoying the infrequent walks to the Coop recently and seeing so many Orange tip butterflies, never seen so many in Charlbury before. Only the males have the Orange tip females have black instead. Don't get the females mixed up with green veined whites, both equally beautiful if you get chance to see them close up. I am always amazed with the diversity of wildlife Charlbury has. Butterflies have always been symbolic of the human soul passing on and white butterflies represent a soul of a child. Take a moment to enjoy seeing them they won't be around for long and take a moment to think of the people you miss.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.