Prolonged sunny weather

Tony Graeme
👍

Thu 23 Apr 2020, 11:55 (last edited on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 11:56)

I'm not sure, Mike, whether by 'hotter air means more high pressure' you are inferring that the warming is the cause of the high pressure. If so, that is the wrong way round: high pressure indicates descending air which warms by being compressed. So it is truer to say that the high pressure causes (or at least helps) the rise in temperature High (and Low) pressure systems develop through wider and more complex dynamic factors

That said it is certainly true, as reports such as the one Stephen indicates have highlighted, that reduced pollution will have meant more solar radiation reaching the surface than would have been the case without the 'shut down'. This will have helped boost temperatures. and I am sure you are right in suggesting that the lower number contrails will also have contributed.

Stephen Andrews
👍 1

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 15:39

Maybe. New record in Solar output being linked to cleaner air:

https://www.pv-tech.org/news/new-uk-solar-generation-record-set-amidst-air-pollution-collapse?

Mike Summers
👍 2

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 13:27

I was just wondering if the long spell of sunny weather we are experiencing has anything to do with the reduction in air traffic.  There used to be continual con trails over Charlbury which must have reflected a lot of sunlight.  But now this curtain is removed we are feeling it more and hotter air means more high pressure which equals more stable wether. Or am I wrong - the sky looks a lot bluer to me anyway.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.