Opportunistic thief

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 15:49

It’s not clear whether these are different incidents being discussed here or not. In these circumstances I think it’s best that the thread is locked and that, if anyone has concerns about theft, they call the police on 101. Thank you.

Gareth Davies
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 15:44

Very sorry the items stolen were a couple of hundred pounds of fresh cut timber from the Ditchley road, private property. No permission was asked and none given, the person damaged ancient hedgerow, fencing cut,.disturbed ground nesting birds, disturbed habitat of the  great crested newt. I could go on, these are all British laws just like people letting their dogs off the lead when they are not under voice control. I do have land owners permission to act for and on his behalf which in this case means I can choose to speak up and I can still push for prosecution. Just for record trespass may not be an illegal act but we can use on top of if so wished. I do have a clear photograph, I won't prosecute merely want to point out the facts. If the gentleman pops up on a camera within the boundary lines he knows he crossed again I will not hesitate to push for prosecution. Just try and think how you would feel if your property was invaded.

Amelia Pratley
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 13:02

In response to Gareth Davis comment of Tue 21 April. HOW DARE! you put up the registration number of a persons van without first knowing the facts. The items were not stolen from the garden they were taken with full permission and the presence of the owner, as a favour to help her out. I will expect a full apology to be put up on this site and I suggest you also contact the police and others persons whom you have contacted about these false allegations. I know we are in trying times with the corona virus, but honestly, if boredom is leading you to put up false accusations you could find yourself being sued for defamation of character.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 12:54 (last edited on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 13:01)

Hi folks,

I have spoken to the owner of the van who is a local resident and I’m happy it’s all above board. They were doing some clearance work on behalf of the owner of the house.

I realise everyone is a bit tense right now, and it’s good to look out for your neighbours, but please do be a little careful with sharing names or registration numbers if you’re not 100% sure – it’s easy for rumours to get around when there’s an innocent explanation. If you’re worried about a particular person/van then the police are best placed to follow this up – as Gareth says you can call 101.

Gareth Davies
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 12:49 (last edited on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 13:02)

I didn't witness it first hand but I have access to multiply cameras and it was picked up on one of those. Police have been in contact and they are looking into it. The problem with people like this at times like this is generally nothing is safe, just another opportunity for easy money. I can't say they are dog nappers as such it's just always  better to be mindful than sorry later.

Steve Jones
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 11:51

"as are people who are enjoying letting their dogs out in the garden"

Is the suggestion here that the occupants of this white van are engaged on dog-napping? i suspect a dog would be a disincentive.

In any event, if there's a van suspected of being engaged in stealing, then it's best reported to the police.

As I'm in need of a bit of distraction, I did put the registration number into the government's MOT check site, and people will be glad to know that it is up to date on both.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 22 Apr 2020, 09:52

Thanks Gareth. Did you see them stealing? If so, what did they look like?

Gareth Davies
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2020, 22:26

Yes we have passed on all of the information and it has been passed on to relevant parties. Just wanted to warn other's, even in lockdown there are still those willing to take full advantage.

Jean Adams
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2020, 20:41

Are the Police aware of this information.?

Gareth Davies
👍 1

Tue 21 Apr 2020, 17:49 (last edited on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 12:48)

There is unfortunately people happy to take advantage of other people's situations even the lockdown. There is a large white Ford transit in the area reg no. [removed – Richard], they seem to be helping themselves to anything they want. Private property fences etc are not a barrier so Please be aware and go careful leaving anything out in the open. With the weather childrens play equipment which is high demand at the moment is easy pickings as are people who are enjoying letting their dogs out in the garden.If your concerned a crime is happening you can still contact 101 and the police will do their best to attend, but also crime can be reported online easily.

This thread has been locked. You cannot add any further replies.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.