Gunshots

Gareth Davies
👍 2

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 23:01

Ditchley estate have people out protecting the crops that have just been sown. Normally the automated bird scarer is adequate and a small loss acceptable. Unfortunately as current events cary on maximizing crop yield at harvest becomes even more important. Our farming communities are doing everything possible to make sure we keep a sustainable food source not just now and as long as the crisis continues but well into next year as well. It shouldn't be for long please be tolerant and mindful when you are out on walks.

Jean Adams
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 20:26

I had a rabbit in the garden with , we believe, mixamatosis. I was informed there is a lot around, so that might be a reason for shooting rabbits, to stop the spread. Only a theory.

Helen Holwill
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 20:02

I think it may be farmers keeping rabbit populations in check. 

Richard Tebbutt
👍 1

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 19:31

It's probably people hunting. Happens in the countryside. 

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 19:18

Yesterday we saw a dead pheasant on the Salt Way halfway between Dustfield Farm and the Woodstock Road. Looked like it had crashed head-first into the edge of the track. Hard to imagine how it could have ended up dying there by natural causes. 

Brigid Sturdy
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 18:58 (last edited on Sun 19 Apr 2020, 18:59)

It seems to have been on the Ditchley and Lees Rest land, continuing until about 5 p.m.   The other evening I noticed a car with its doors open, parked in the gateway near the mast at the top of the upper field reached from Woody Lane, near the Christmas tree plantation. There were two men there, but I thought nothing particular of it until I saw another car today, parked much farther along that track towards Ditchley, as if it had driven up the field from Lees Rest Farm.  Down on the lower path, a man with dogs was standing by a gap apparently directing operations.  I'd be interested to know what was being exterminated.

john h
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 17:55

We have suffered too, my dog is still in a state of shock, after being spooked on his run today.  I intend to find out Monday who was responsible, and lodge a complaint. The shots were coming from the Woodstock Rd area, if anyone has any information I would pleased, just hope it was not a shooting party, very naughty if it was!!  11. 30 til 17.00 is not on.

Amanda
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 16:55

Gunshots for sure!!! It's been going on all day and both my dogs are in a state because of it! It has ruined all of our Sunday! Not very nice for the poor wildlife that's being murdered either!

Robin Taylor
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 16:51

Automatic bird scarer perhaps?

John Dora
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 16:35

I keep hearing pairs of gunshots, maybe a twin barrelled shotgun? Unusual to hear this these days! 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.