The Blandford Fly is back!

Nikki Rycroft
👍

Mon 20 Apr 2020, 20:13

I was bitten on that still humid day last Thursday and have had a really bad reaction with a very swollen , painful and blistered leg, so I could hardly walk for 2 days. I live near the Evenlode   Please look at the advice in the Spring 2020 newsletter on the CPPG page for full advice (and pictures). Anti fly spray and long trousers with socks essential unfortunately for the next month !

Gareth Epps
👍

Sun 19 Apr 2020, 13:39

Does any deterrent eg Skin So Soft work against them?

Steve Jones
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 21:18

Perhaps I too have fallen foul of these legendary creatures. I have some very itchy and angry looking wounds on my calves and ankles. Rather annoying and not exactly pleasant to look at.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 17:12

Thanks for the "heads up"  It usually gets me each year.  No more shorts for a while!  I can't remember, when do they leave us alone?

Felicity Brooks
👍 1

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 15:44

Yep, I have one bite too. Whole calf swollen up. Nasty little things. I went walking by river on Thursday. Maybe that was it. Very early though!

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 14:31

They're up on The Green, as in previous years. No respecters of heights!

Rhona Walker
👍 1

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 14:13

Despite lockdown, the Blandford Fly is back and happily attacking.  I got bitten yesterday, which is earlier than ever this year (usually appears in May).  No respect for social distancing!!  Time to get out the long socks and thick trousers before venturing out for your daily exercise if you plan to walk near the river.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.