The bells!

Leah Fowler
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2020, 12:26

The bells ring on a Sunday in normal times 

Father Clive Dytor
👍

Tue 21 Apr 2020, 10:55

We live opposite the church and it is such a privilege to hear the bells on a Wednesday evening. Looking forward to the campanologists’ reunion!

michele marietta
👍 3

Mon 20 Apr 2020, 21:45

It would sure be nice to hear them on Wednesdays again. Especially right now, as it would give us all a way to know what the heck day it is!

We miss you, bell ringers. Come back soon.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Fri 17 Apr 2020, 08:41

Now looks like the 75th anniversary of VE Day might be the first day post-lockdown?  Another good reason for a peal of church bells!

Mike Summers
👍 3

Thu 16 Apr 2020, 13:22

How nice to know our efforts are appreciated, thank you.  And you can be sure that as soon as we are allowed we will be back with some celebratory ringing for the whole town to enjoy.  We always welcome visitors to watch us ring or have a go themselves on a Wednesday evening.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Thu 16 Apr 2020, 09:46

What a great idea.

Carl A Perkins
👍 7

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 20:33 (last edited on Wed 15 Apr 2020, 20:41)

Ambling my way along on my occasional evening walk, I started to ponder about something that was obviously absent. After a while, I remembered that it is a Wednesday. (It’s hard at the moment as every day seems the same).

I soon realised that the ‘thing’ that was absent was the euphonious sound of the church bells. As you all know, these usually ring out in fine manner on a Wednesday evening.

Now, growing up in Gloucester (many years ago), I’m quite partial to a bit of campanology, so was thinking... wouldn’t it be tremendous if the bells of St Mary’s could ring out for us all to hear when the government permits the end of the lockdown? I’m sure that the fabulous ‘ringers’ who often please our ears on a Wednesday evening are eagerly awaiting the re-aquaintance with the bell ropes!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.