Should we do more that clap for NHS? (Debate)

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 15:06

Lantau Island! Went often when I lived in Hong Kong in the 1980s.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 13:02

Yes Hans, you are quite right.  I know because my daughter and her Husband and 3 of my 5 grandchildren are living on Lantau Island and have been for a few years.

We "WhatsApp" regularly and she tells me that, although the schools have been closed for some time (which is hard when you live in a high rise apartment with 3 children aged 7, 5, and 3!) and are an "early years" teacher, things are getting back to normal.  

They don't have to wear masks anymore, but do have to "social distance".  Shops are open and stocked - including Marks and Spencer (which rings a bell).

So they go out every day to the beach and National Park.  It's certainly a lot better than here.

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 11:43

I am so sorry for your loss Hannen. Sadly the great national suffering could have been avoided. Hong Kong has only had 4 deathts through test and trace, which was abandoned here. The good news is that it seems the test and trace strategy is being restarted. Probably the only way out of lockdown at least in the short term.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/test-trace-lessons-hong-kong-avoiding-coronavirus-lockdown

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 10:48

Thank you all.

I feel for her parents, her brother and her Husband.

I don't think it helped that she'd had leukaemia a few years ago, so her immune system was probably compromised.

The irony is that she was training to be a lawyer, then she got leukaemia.  She spent several months in Hospital and when she eventually recovered she decided to change career and become a Nurse.

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 09:37

I am very sorry  to hear that, Hannen. It must be a very sad time for you and your family.

Mark Luntley
👍 1

Sat 18 Apr 2020, 00:26

I would like to also add my condolences, it must be a really horrible time and I'm very, very sad to hear your news.

Alice Brander
👍 1

Fri 17 Apr 2020, 06:52

So, so sorry Hannen.  Poor Emily with her whole life ahead of her.  I'm feeling more and more guilty, despair and anger for all the NHS staff inadequately protected and all the people who don't work for the NHS.  The hospital cleaners, porters, cooks, logistics people and agency staff.   All the care staff, cleaners, cooks who work in residential & nursing homes.   Next Thursday I will be thinking quietly of Emily and all the others who have died because of our society's failure to value them.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 16 Apr 2020, 19:06 (last edited on Thu 16 Apr 2020, 23:34)

Yes, apparently we must all give the clap to the nurses every Thursday at 8.00 pm. Didn't help Emily.  

Emily was my lovely Great Niece who, I learnt today, had died of Covid -19.  She worked in the frontline of an NHS Hospital on the South coast.

She was 30 and married and we used to have great chats over the 'phone, and occasionally face to face.

Jean Adams
👍 2

Thu 16 Apr 2020, 15:38 (last edited on Thu 16 Apr 2020, 15:39)

The Gentleman was in the Duke of Wellington,s Regiment. Of which my Son in Law , many years later was CO. Now the Yorkshire Regiment , who formed the Guard of Honour for him today.  Certainly an inspiration which I hope will inspire many younger people in the future.

Amanda Epps
👍 3

Thu 16 Apr 2020, 10:49

Jean, it’s now 12 million.  Isn’t that incredible.  He’s an inspiration.

Jean Adams
👍 1

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 15:07

Dear Mark  On TV this morning they featured a 99 year old ex Serviceman who by walking up and down his garden, has raised in excess of 5Million pounds for the NHS charity which will help front line and others. The money was just rolling in but I left when it had exceeded 5M. I am sure it will be on TV later.

Mark Luntley
👍 2

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 11:33 (last edited on Wed 15 Apr 2020, 13:04)

We've been out each week to clap for the NHS staff. But I must admit to feeling a bit uneasy about this. Not about the NHS and others front line people who are doing their best in incredibly difficult circumstances. 

But as a society we've not funded public services sufficiently over an extended period, and that's at least part of the reason we are struggling now. 

This morning I heard that the US President is witholding  WHO funding - in the middle of a pandemic. Some of the right wing think tanks are now proposing the UK follows suit.

So I decided to do something to address both points, and gave a donation to the WHO Covid appeal. If you were interested in finding out more you can find details at: https://www.who.int 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.