Distance PLEASE! (Debate)

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 13:13

Very good analysis of the statistics and the science on "More or Less" this morning ( Wed. 25/3) on Radio 4 at 9 a.m. You can listen on BBC Sounds. You can also ask further questions for the 2nd programme next week.

Maggie Watts
👍

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 12:18

Dave, you missed my point.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread due to speculation. Therefore it would be better if we cut down on the theorising which will lead to rumours that are almost invariably wrong. This may lead to unnecessary worry which I think we could all do without right now.

Of course the social distancing rules are clear cut to anyone sensible!

Dave Oates
👍 3

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 12:13

Maggie I completely agree but you don't need to be a qualified scientist to observe the distancing rules. Come on people, be sensible - it's actually not that hard!

Maggie Watts
👍

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 12:02

Please can people listen to the scientific advice coming from the CMO and the government instead of postulating theories or repeating information . This leads to misinterpretation and misinformation due to “Chinese whispers” and is not helpful to any of us. It is not the time for armchair science.

if anyone is confused about the guidance, please check gov.uk.

Andrew Chapman
👍 1

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 11:33

The research on surfaces suggests it can linger in the air and still be viable after three hours, but that was crucially in a confined space - seems unlikely it would be the same out in the countryside where the air is moving; likewise on cardboard for up to 24 hours and plastic/stainless steel for as much as three days. The main transmission is via coughs/sneezes and the droplets being propelled thereby - that's not the same as a true airborne virus. (I'm not a scientist, it should be said, but I ain't half reading a lot lately!) The point remains that two metres seems to be a safe and sensible distance.

Carl A Perkins
👍 1

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 11:10 (last edited on Wed 25 Mar 2020, 11:11)

Hi Amanda, thanks you are right. I believe the virus can survive longer when landing on surfaces but limited to a few hours when airborne - that's probably why I assumed it was a surface spread virus.

Just as well that I went into engineering instead of medicine!

Amanda Epps
👍 2

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 10:57

I am sorry to say that is wrong, Carl.  Coronavirus is also spread by airborne droplets.  That is why the advice is to cover your mouth when you cough and why you are told to stay 2 metres apart.

Carl A Perkins
👍

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 10:38

I think that you are OK so long as they don't touch you. COVID-19 is not airborne like most other viruses, it resides on surfaces and infects people who touch the infected surface and then touch their eyes or mouth. 

Still, they should keep some distance from you. Then again cyclists (not all) aren't the most considerate members of society... but that's another topic for another day

Duncan Forbes
👍 3

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 09:53

We would hate to give up our daily walk, but as over-70's we are finding it scary to have "close encounters" when out - especially with runners or cyclists, who have been chatting or breathing heavily as they pass within a foot or two. We'd REALLY appreciate folk keeping their distance in these circumstances - 2 metres is a lot further than many realise! Thanks so much.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.