Charlbury corona virus safe? (Debate)

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sat 28 Mar 2020, 16:31

Russell. I agree entirely. There are strict government guidelines now, to SAVE lives. It is up to the senior management team at HQ to send guidelines to the  branch managers.

Then the branch managers can use their full powers of discretion. 

Russell Ingham
👍 1

Sat 28 Mar 2020, 13:06

It is now nearly a week since the social distancing protocol was tightened. The Market St chemist, ASDA at Carterton, Minster Lovell Spar and many other retail locations have developed a "1 in and 1 out" policy. In addition, checkouts have been closed so as to optimise the "2 metre rule" and "1 way" aisles have been implemented where possible. Meanwhile, our Co-op continues to offer business as usual which I consider to be naïve at best and foolhardy at worst. True, the check out queue is spaced  but this is pointless if the PO queue runs parallel rather than having a single line only, or, perhaps with a spur around the alcohol. Similarly, the 2 - way aisles encourage chattering, prevarication and bottle-necks and why are we standing so close to the till staff? It seems inconceivable to me that no significant measures have been introduced to limit virus spread within such a cramped layout. I believe the Co-op hierarchy should implement a controlled entry policy as soon as possible. Moreover, they should close the store for shelf-stocking periods.Yes, whatever is done will seriously hinder the customers and we would have to queue outside in any weather and plan our days around revised opening times - it will all be a pain but we and the Co-op staff will be as safe as is possible. I am grateful to have this Co-op store locally, the merchandise is good, reliable and fresh. The staff are superb, friendly ambassadors but unfortunately at the moment it is, in my opinion, a very dangerous place.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 18:45

Gordon – the ‘anonymous’ bit was referencing Jaime not you!

Jaime – thank you for a kind and considered answer.

Jaime Le Bouton
👍 1

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 18:41

My apologies - perhaps the tensions of these times led me to speak out if turn. I would politely urge all community groups to ensure their much appreciated volunteers aren’t unnecesarily exposing themselves or others to risk, that’s all.

Gordon Clemson
👍

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 18:24 (last edited on Mon 23 Mar 2020, 18:25)

Richard,

I did not make an anonymous comment as it has my name against it...

Also, I deliver leaflets to the deliverers and as well as a round myself, as  I was out doing this  'delivering' this afternoon  ?????  

Its no good making such a comment without the proof and also why not say something at the time ?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 4

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 18:04 (last edited on Mon 23 Mar 2020, 18:06)

I’m sure St Mary’s will look into this if you let them know directly, rather than making an anonymous comment on the forum. I do not want the forum, even the Debate board, to degenerate into the sort of public shaming that is currently de rigeur on Twitter and Facebook.

Government guidance is, of course, a “new, continuous cough”, but maybe Jaime has been stalking the deliverer around for the past week to ascertain whether it’s new and/or continuous? At a distance of more than 2m, natch.

Gordon Clemson
👍

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 17:25

Where do you live in Charlbury, easy to identify the delivery person, if you say they are irresponsible

Jaime Le Bouton
👍

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 16:59

With all due respect, sending someone with a cough to deliver the parish newsletter is pretty irresponsible in the present circumstances. We are in a ‘careless coughs cost lives’ situation now.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.