Queuing in the Coop And Coronavirus

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 3

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 11:08

Indeed.

I think this thread has gone as far as it can. Please “be the change you want to see” by standing apart from others. If you would like to contact Midcounties Coop management, the page is here: https://www.midcounties.coop/contact-us/

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 10:18

It shouldn’t need a sign to remind people to keep an appropriate distance.

I’m the current conditions anyone disregarding personal space should expect to be told robustly to stand apart.  Anyone expecting staff to do so is being particularly unreasonable.

Mandy cooper
👍 6

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 09:37

There are signs on all tills and the front door. I’m afraid the co op isn’t that big and all staff are trying there best  to get stock out as soon as it comes in. Please help them to help you. They are under a lot of pressure from customers and only know what they are being told. They don’t know what is on the delivery or what time it comes in. 

Eileen Hipgrave
👍

Mon 23 Mar 2020, 08:59

The trouble with a sign at the till is that people standing behind each other in the queue wouldn’t be able to see it. A large sign on a board outside the shop may do the trick.

Claire Wilding
👍 7

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 22:44 (last edited on Thu 9 Nov 2023, 19:57)

Meraud Hand
👍 1

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 21:54

I haven't been into the Co-op (isolating), but is there a sign at the tills that people in the queue can see, to remind them to stand apart? Can you put one up without the manager's say so? Every day counts.

Mandy cooper
👍

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 19:38

Manager not back till Tuesday 

Eileen Hipgrave
👍

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 19:28

Let’s see what happens tomorrow . Hopefully the Manager will be back who can make a decision 

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍 1

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 18:26

We saw a very useful and quite fun thing at the East Oxford community market yesterday. The organisers had drawn chalk smiley faces 2m apart on the paved area of the market. People had to use these to stand on while waiting. Once all faces were full, no one else was allowed in. Could something similar be done on the floor in the co-op?

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 17:10

And play that song: "Don't stand, don't stand, don't stand so close to me."  ?

Helen Holwill
👍 4

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 12:13 (last edited on Sun 22 Mar 2020, 12:14)

Can we not suggest that they put some kind of marker on the floor? Surely it would be relatively easy to add sticker strips at the right distances to encourage people, and that wouldn't need head office approval. Or even if it were done in removal white board marker pen.

Rod Evans
👍 2

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 11:47 (last edited on Sun 22 Mar 2020, 11:59)

Couldn't agree more.  The staff here - at least this morning - were cheerfully keeping their spirits up while re-stocking shelves (though still a lot to fill up).  But the premises are cramped and staff and customers cannot avoid being close to each other.  It's very poor they have had no guidance from their head office, it's they after all who are most at risk with the no of people passing through the shop.  For starters, surely they should close while re-stocking to keep staff/customer contact to a minimum - and control the nos inside etc.  If the pharmacy can do it, why can't the shop?

I know there's a natural tendency to think 'it won't happen here / in Charlbury'. I don't mean to be alarmist but it can and will - see posts in Debate under Coronavirus Dashboard.

Eileen Hipgrave
👍 4

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 10:09

I popped into the Coop for a paper this morning and was appalled by how close people are standing next to each other at the checkout. I maintained a 2 metre distance between myself and the person in front, and, thank goodness the person behind me did the same. This really worried me that this virus may not be being taken as seriously as it should be. I rang the deputy manager who explained that he has no jurisdiction  to change the situation because he was only the ‘deputy’ and has no instructions from head office. I have asked him to report my concerns to his Head Office. Surely, until there is an official ruling, it’s up to the shoppers in Charlbury to do their bit and, not only keep themselves as safe as possible, but also fellow customers and staff too, and to be mindful of our already overworked NHS staff. 

This thread has been locked. You cannot add any further replies.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.